Motion 5 Question

Motion 5 Question (March 06, 2015 06:48AM) Caleb
Hi all.
I am still getting used to FCP X and all of the other programs.
In FCP 7 I could cut a clip out of my timeline with the razor tool, and could send it to Motion. Most of my work is editing lectures. This was a very nice function cause I tend to put text on the screen when the person lecturing says a main point, or something that needs to be emphasized. I realize the function of sending a clip to Motion from FCP left with X. Here's my question.
As of right now I am having to cut my clip and figure out how long it is, then at the right point put text in. For instance if I know a main point is made at 36:42, and another main point is made at 36:51, I make a 15 second Motion clip and put my text in at the beginning and at the 9 second mark. As I'm sure everyone can see this is ridiculous, and certainly is not the right way to do it. How do I make a minuet or two minuet long Motion clip and know when to que different text if I can't send a clip to Motion?

Thanks
Re: Motion 5 Question (March 06, 2015 09:51PM) ronny courtens
Hi Caleb,

There are very specific reasons why there is no Send to Motion option at this time. This function did not work properly with FCP7, many things could get lost or corrupted in the transfer process. So if they want to bring it back at all it will have to be much better, or they will be have to do a completely different approach. Such things can take a lot of time, it's not a matter of just pulling a switch.

As to your specific question: I really don't see what the problem is because Motion is already integrated in FCP X. Just use any existing title template (which actually is a Motion project) and customize it, or create a custom title template in Motion and publish it to FCP X. Then add a title at 36:42 and another one at 36:5. I don't understand why you would even need Motion just to add titles over an image. Or maybe I am getting this wrong? If so, post a screenshot to show exactly what you mean.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login