Re: Z1U HDV via FireWire to FCP7

Z1U HDV via FireWire to FCP7 (March 11, 2015 03:37AM) Videot
I find myself in a situation similar to the one Jim posted about.

I have footage shot on a Sony Z1U (early adopter, me) in HDV that I can't seem to transfer as HD footage via FireWire to FCP7 using a 4- to 9-pin FW cable.

I have to force the camera's output to standard-def DV to get FCP to recognize video from the camera.

Since this is a wedding shoot and my second cam was HD as well (a JVC shooting to a card), I'd really like my closeup content to match, in terms of quality (yes, the cams aren't a 100% apples-to-apples match, but HDV would still look better than DV when cut against the JVC footage).

Does anyone have any experience with this issue, the Z1U's HDV output not being accepted by FireWire using FCP7?

TIA.

- Mike
Re: Z1U HDV via FireWire to FCP7 (March 11, 2015 05:33AM) XGTV
Jim, are you using the HDV to Prores capture preset, should work.
Re: Z1U HDV via FireWire to FCP7 (March 11, 2015 05:50AM) Ken Stone Admin
Mike,

I just sent you a package of FCP 7 plugins for Sony, HDV to ProRes.

Hope that they do the job for you. Let me know.

--ken
Re: Z1U HDV via FireWire to FCP7 (March 11, 2015 07:58AM) Videot
Got 'em — will try them out tonight. Thank you so much!

- Mike
Re: Z1U HDV via FireWire to FCP7 (March 11, 2015 08:08AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Mike,

Please let me know if this works for you.

Good luck.

--ken
Re: Z1U HDV via FireWire to FCP7 (March 11, 2015 09:10AM) gijacklin
I still can't get my Sony HVR Z7U to capture anything anymore either?! FCP 7 see's the camera and allows it to rewind and fast forward but when I try to capture it says "Capture was aborted due to lack of incoming data from device. Check your connections and that the deck is playing."

Dying over here till I figure out a new way to edit but I don't have time to learn a whole new program which FCP 10 is. The wicked ways of the world! lol.
Re: Z1U HDV via FireWire to FCP7 (March 11, 2015 09:20AM) Ken Stone Admin
Just sent you the Sony HDV FCP 7 plugin package via email.

--ken
Re: Z1U HDV via FireWire to FCP7 (March 11, 2015 09:36AM) gijacklin
Thanks I replied... Thanks Ken. Now I'm really not a computer guy so not sure what to do with all those? Can you explain in laymens terms? Also if and when I can afford the fcp X will if fix these problems anyway? I'm assuming as much as I hate the thought if I plan to even make wedding video's for friends I will have to learn something new. I've been looking at imovie and can't figure out how to get from mini-dv to it either? And I'm realizing this really has got me a bit depressed. I used to love losing myself in 12 hour editing sessions on projects that would save peoples lives etc... now I can't even shoot a party and get it on the net? I'm pathetic. lol.

If I can at least get FCP 7 working on my current machine till I can find a FCP X copy for my brand new lap top I'll be happy. Also any book or particular video you would reccommend for a non computer guy to learn the "infamous" and dreaded X?"
Thanks bud. ;)
Re: Z1U HDV via FireWire to FCP7 (March 11, 2015 09:42AM) Ken Stone Admin
Just replied via email.

--ken
Re: Z1U HDV via FireWire to FCP7 (March 16, 2015 02:55AM) Videot
Re: Z1U HDV via FireWire to FCP7 (March 16, 2015 06:18AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Mike,

Wow, it has been such a long time since I've captured from tape.

HDV was always problematic and most users of HDV had their own method for setting up capture.

So glad that you found a way to get your HDV into FCP. Funny that you mention it because I had completely forgotten about 'start stop detection' and I remember that it drove some people crazy.

I know people who shot HDV for years and have worked with (edited) HDV footage here at my studio. I was very impressed with the quality as it was so much better than standard DV video.

Anyway, glad that you got it all worked out.

--ken
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login