Re: Does Final Cut X work with Nexsan as a media server?

Does Final Cut X work with Nexsan as a media server? (March 12, 2015 10:28AM) MarcS
In my current scenario, we have 5 edit stations running FCP7. All are networked to one Nexsan E18 SAN for our raw files and finished masters. We are thinking of finally migrating to FCPX. Someone (who should know what they are talking about), has told me that we will not be able to set a networked drive as our scratch disk in FCPX. Any truth to that?
Re: Does Final Cut X work with Nexsan as a media server? (March 12, 2015 08:19PM) ronny courtens
Re: Does Final Cut X work with Nexsan as a media server? (March 13, 2015 02:33AM) MarcS
Thanks Ronny! I knew he had to be wrong. Just didn't make sense. One more question, is it still recommended to partition your drive and install FCPX on it's own volume?

Marc
Re: Does Final Cut X work with Nexsan as a media server? (March 13, 2015 03:05AM) ronny courtens
Nope, and actually that has never been the case. There is indeed still a lot of misinformation about FCP X.

You can run both from the same system drive but I personally would never install FCP anymore on a machine that runs FCP X. FCP will perform practically the same on any Mac or OS. FCP X on the other hand is capable of benefiting from every new hardware and OS improvement, that's why newer versions of FCP X often require running the latest OS. There might come a time that OS updates will not support FCP anymore.

So if you still want to use FCP for whatever reason I think it will be better to leave it on a separate machine, and install FCP X on more performant systems that you can update as much as you wish.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login