Slow Computer

Slow Computer (March 26, 2015 07:17AM) mjskywalker
Hi all,

Having an issue with one of our computers that is seriously lagging with only FCP X only. (For what I can see) All of the other programs we have on it works perfectly fine. It takes about 20 minutes for FCP X to fire up. I have done everything I can think of to fix it, including re-installing FCP X. I'm at wits end, the only thing I can think of is to wipe it completely and re-install everything. I can bring it in, but it's hard to say everything works but FCP X. Ha! Do you think it may be the graphics card going?

It is a 27" 3tb Fusion iMac.

Thanks!

Jason
Re: Slow Computer (March 26, 2015 08:54AM) ronny courtens
FCP X lives and breathes by two things: RAM and GPU. So first check both.

Also: re-installing FCP X is useless if you don't delete the FCP X preferences first.

Don't use any third-party application to do this, the built-in method is the only one that really works: close FCP X and relaunch it while holding the ALT+CMD keys pressed down. A window will pop up asking if you want to delete your preferences. Confirm and FCP X will start up with an empty Library.

If is starts up correctly and without any lags: open the Library you last used and see if this bogs down the app or not. If it does, nothing wrong with your system or with FCP X, just something wrong with your Library or your media drive.

If it does not start up correctly with an empty Library: create a new admin account and launch FCP X within this new account. If FCP X works as expected in the new account: post back.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Slow Computer (March 26, 2015 09:19AM) mjskywalker
Thanks Ronny for the tips. I'll let you know what I find.

Best,

Jason
Re: Slow Computer (May 01, 2015 12:13AM) mjskywalker
Find out it was the normal hard drive of the computers fusion drive. The SSD was fine. Had it under apple care so no worries. :) Will just need to reload it.

Thanks!

Jason
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login