Re: Update

Update (April 13, 2015 06:59AM) MitchellRose
Re: Update (April 13, 2015 09:12AM) ronny courtens
It's not only the fastest but also the most stable version of FCP X I have seen until now. Been running it on different macs with 10.1.3, even updated a machine in the middle of a big project. They seem to have given most of the third-party developers early access, because all plugins I have just work. Of course there may be the odd conflicts for people using older apps with outdated drivers, but I haven't had any problems. Feature-wise the opinions will certainly differ (they always do because we all have different priorities), but performance-wise this is a neat update.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Update (April 13, 2015 10:29AM) philsfilm
So Ken is like the unlucky guy in the old WWII movies that the sergeant sends out into the minefield first to make sure no one else in the platoon gets blown to smithereens?

But seriously, that's great news, Ronny. My main criticism of FCP X so far is that the timeline seems a bit unstable.
I also read that 10.2 supports Sony XAVC and XDCAM formats without a separate plug-in. In terms of XAVC, does that mean both Intra and Long GOP? I just downloaded the Sony XAVC plug-in so I could work with footage from the FS7. But again, that's great news.
Re: Update (April 13, 2015 10:33AM) ronny courtens
Hi Phil,

XAVC-I works as expected, haven't tried XAVC-L yet because I don't have a sample video for that format.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Update (April 13, 2015 10:35AM) MitchellRose
Re: Update (April 13, 2015 10:40AM) philsfilm
Mitchell,

Do you mean like the anonymous crew members in Startrek who beamed down with Kirk? Those guys usually got blown away.
Re: Update (April 13, 2015 10:37AM) philsfilm
The reason I ask, Ronny, is because I heard that Sony's plug-in only applies to Intra.
Re: Update (April 13, 2015 10:38AM) ronny courtens
That seems to be correct. I haven't been able to test Long-Gop yet.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Update (April 13, 2015 10:50AM) Ken Stone Admin
The guy who goes into the minefield first, would he be known as 'Mr. Bleeding Edge'?

--ken
Re: Update (April 13, 2015 11:27AM) MitchellRose
Re: Update (April 18, 2015 10:59AM) Christoph Vonrhein
Re: Update (April 13, 2015 07:01PM) Joe Redifer
So has the timeline sluggishness been addressed? How about the wonky keyframing?
Re: Update (April 13, 2015 07:22PM) ronny courtens
Performance has indeed been improved a lot, especially for native R3D and MXF. If you had any personal performance problems in the past it might be worth updating to see if things are better for you now. I have checked and I have not seen any posts complaining about the keyframing anymore since it was improved in 10.1.2. So I suppose most users must be happy with it. Of course YMMV.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Update (April 13, 2015 09:41PM) ronny courtens
Re: Update (April 14, 2015 12:08AM) MitchellRose
Re: Update (April 14, 2015 12:16AM) philsfilm
Re: Update (April 14, 2015 12:51AM) ronny courtens
Any color correction you add is a filter now. This is a huge improvement because this allows color corrections to be moved in the filters stack and to be group-deleted with Remove Attributes. When you apply a broadcast safe filter (or any other filter) to a color corrected clip these filters will affect the color correction, which wasn't the case before. Very cool. There are hints in the new XML that color corrections will be keyframable in a next version. This is also thanks to the fact that CCs are filters now.

But this does NOT mean that you have to manually add a CC filter to every clip. It's even easier than before. Just put your playhead on any clip and press CMD+6, which will open the color board. Make your color correction, go to the next clip (Right Arrow) and you will be able to color correct any following clip without having to do anything extra.

Color correcting a clip will automatically add the CC filter to that clip. This means that when you update 10.1.4 projects, every color correction you have made will also appear as a CC filter on the corrected clips.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Update (April 14, 2015 12:56AM) MitchellRose
Re: Update (April 14, 2015 01:09AM) ronny courtens
Re: Update (April 14, 2015 01:14AM) philsfilm
Re: Update (April 14, 2015 01:22AM) ronny courtens
You can mark ins and outs as much as you wish, but you do this where the marks belong: on the clip and not in the Viewer. The Viewer is just a monitor, you don't want to mark ins and outs on a monitor. The reason why you cannot do this in FCP and Premiere is just because these apps cannot do clip skimming in the Browser. Premiere CC has some fake implementation of skimming, but it is not adequate enough to add markers. It's not because FCP and Premiere do it wrong that FCP X must keep doing it wrong (-:

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Update (April 14, 2015 01:24AM) ronny courtens
As to the color board: yes it will stay open as long as you don't close it and you can make adjustments to any clip in the timeline by just dragging the color board sliders. You don't need to select the color board for every clip anymore.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Update (April 14, 2015 04:39AM) philsfilm
It's a brave new world, Ronny. :-)
Re: Update (April 14, 2015 04:40AM) ronny courtens
Yes it is, Phil :-)

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Update (April 14, 2015 04:54AM) philsfilm
Ronny,

You showed me a while back that you can do audio crossfades within a secondary storyline. See pic.

-Phil
Re: Update (April 14, 2015 05:05AM) ronny courtens
Yes, if you detach your audio you can do audio cross-dissolves whenever you wish. Just apply the default cross-dissolve effect. The effect I have linked to is for camera clips where the video and audio are not detached.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Update (April 14, 2015 05:09AM) philsfilm
Ronny,

I just downloaded it and tested the Sound Only crossfade. It gives you several positioning options. Alex4D is great.
Thanks so much!

-Phil
Re: Update (April 14, 2015 01:09AM) philsfilm
Re: CC filters. That does indeed sound good, Ronny.

But just to clarify, when you say "Just put your playhead on any clip and press CMD+6, which will open the color board. Make your color correction, go to the next clip (Right Arrow) and you will be able to color correct any following clip without having to do anything extra." Does that mean that the color board will appear in the Inspector whenever I click on the Video panel of that clip? And that the color board will stay there when I move to the next clip?

Overall, I guess it's not that different from FCP 7 when we added the 3 color wheel filter to make adjustments.

-Phil
Re: Update (April 14, 2015 05:16AM) philsfilm
Interesting. Hopefully, between Sony and Apple, this problem will be resolved.
Re: Update (April 14, 2015 07:50AM) Joe Redifer
So in 10.2 is there any way to get rid of the sorting by date? I do not need files organized by dates and this slows me down tremendously when they are organized this way and I'd like to disable this. Just need a list.

Re: Update (April 14, 2015 07:57AM) ronny courtens
There are several ways you can group and sort clips. When you click the little wheel under the Browser you can choose how you want to group clips, and also how you want to sort the clips in the groups. You can do this in thumbnail view as well as in list view.

E.G. to see a list of all your clips in alphabetical order: group by None and sort by Name

Best wishes,

Ronny

Re: Update (April 14, 2015 08:13AM) Joe Redifer
Thanks Ronny, I'm sure I did this way back in 10.0 but for some reason that preference has defaulted.

Also do you know if the 3D text is keyframable in 3D? Or is it meant to be static and only animatable in Motion?
Re: Update (April 14, 2015 08:36AM) ronny courtens
Re: Update (April 14, 2015 08:54AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hey Ronny,

Thanks so much for writing up your notes and review of 10.2

Lots to explore.

--ken
Re: Update (April 14, 2015 08:59AM) ronny courtens
My pleasure, Ken.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Update (April 14, 2015 10:14AM) Joe Redifer
The inspector. The viewer does not have enough keyframable adjustments.
Re: Update (April 14, 2015 08:31AM) Joe Redifer
Keyframing is still broken in 10.2. Sometimes when I press a keyframe in the inspector, the playhead will jump back or forth a random amount of frames and put the keyframe there instead. I wish they'd fix this. It's an embarrassing issue for FCPX to have.
Re: Update (April 14, 2015 08:38AM) ronny courtens
Joe, are you trying to keyframe in the Viewer or in the Inspector?

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Update (April 15, 2015 02:21AM) MitchellRose
Re: Update (April 15, 2015 02:47AM) philsfilm
I always wait about 1-2 weeks until the dust settles.
Re: Update (April 16, 2015 07:08PM) ronny courtens
Crashes after updating happen because people always seem to forget that after any significant software update without prior uninstall they need to repair permissions (OS) and delete preferences (applications). Updating or re-installing an application without complete uninstall prior to the update or re-install does not remove the old preferences.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Update (April 16, 2015 11:53PM) MitchellRose
Re: Update (April 16, 2015 11:58PM) ronny courtens
Hi Mitch,

You can update as you always do. But it is a good thing to also delete your preferences after having updated. Some updates include improved preference settings which can cause conflicts with your existing preferences.

If you want to completely uninstall FCPX, including the preference files, just dragging the app to the trash is not enough. You need to use a utility like FCS Remover from Digital Rebellion (free).

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Update (April 17, 2015 12:20AM) philsfilm
Ronny,

I can understand trashing preferences and repairing permissions but is it really necessary to uninstall FCP X first? I've never done this before. It is supposed to be an update not a totally new app.

Thanks,
Phil
Re: Update (April 17, 2015 12:23AM) ronny courtens
No it is not necessary to uninstall FCP X before updating. You can just update, but it is always good to refresh your preferences after any update. You only need to uninstall if the update crashes your system.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Update (April 18, 2015 04:14PM) Joe Redifer
I never update or repair permissions when updating apps. I am not getting any actual crashes with 10.2 at all. Just the same old funky bugs that Apple absolutely refuses to fix. Also, people shouldn't have to uninstall, repair permissions and delete preferences every time they update an app. If they do, then the operating system is compete crap.If an update uses a new set of preferences or whatnot, then the installer should delete the old and reset the prefs. Or this should happen on first launch since FCPX does not use an installer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login