Re: Shorter clip length in Event Browser in FCP X

Shorter clip length in Event Browser in FCP X (April 15, 2015 06:45AM) philsfilm
Hi Ken,

I just noticed something weird. When randomly checking the length of two clips in the Browser, I noticed that they were both shorter than the length listed under the Media Start and Media End headings. I verified this by going to the same clips in the Import window and seeing the longer length listed there. For example, the length of a clip in the Browser when I skim across it is 2:20. The full length, which does not appear when I skim it, is 9:08 and I am able to extend to its full length when I cut it into the timeline. Why isn't the full length of the clip visible in the video window of the Browser? I want to see the full length of the clip when I skim it in the Event Browser not have to assume that there is more there. Also, what is this shorter clip length based on?

Thanks,
Phil
Re: Shorter clip length in Event Browser in FCP X (April 15, 2015 07:13AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Phil,

Did you update to 10.2 or is this from the previous version of FCP X?

--ken
Re: Shorter clip length in Event Browser in FCP X (April 15, 2015 10:27AM) philsfilm
Hi Ken,

I'm still in 10.1.4. I spoke to an Apple professional app rep and he had no idea how to explain it. He said he doubted
that 10.2 would deal with this problem and suggested that I go to the Apple discussion forum. I came here instead because the
help is usually much better on your forum. I will update next week most likely. Have you?

-Phil
Re: Shorter clip length in Event Browser in FCP X (April 15, 2015 10:35AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Phil,

I'll probably update tomorrow. Time to bite the bullet. (g)

I do want to check out the 'Draw Mask' feature. Sure hope that it works well, it is much needed.

--ken
Re: Shorter clip length in Event Browser in FCP X (April 15, 2015 10:43AM) philsfilm
Hope you don't step on any landmines, Ken. ;-)

What FCP X really needs is a tracking mask feature like the great one in Adobe Premiere Pro.
I have Slice X which is good but not perfect. FCP X needs one as good as APP's.

BTW, do you know approximately big the file size of the 10.2 update is?

Please let us know how it goes.

-Phil
Re: Shorter clip length in Event Browser in FCP X (April 15, 2015 10:56AM) Ken Stone Admin
Phil,

The new Resolve 12 has a tracking feature, but have not really looked at it. It also has a mixing board. Sheesh.

Don't know about the file size, will let you know tomorrow.

--ken
Re: Shorter clip length in Event Browser in FCP X (April 15, 2015 11:08AM) philsfilm
I have the earlier Resolve 11 but, like you, I haven't really looked into it.
Re: Shorter clip length in Event Browser in FCP X (April 16, 2015 04:59AM) ronny courtens
Hi Phil,

Switch your Browser to thumbnail view and select the problematic clips. Do you get the correct length in thumbnail view and can you skim through the entire clip? If so: delete your FCP X preferences.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Shorter clip length in Event Browser in FCP X (April 16, 2015 01:38PM) philsfilm
Yes, Ronny, the thumbnail view is limited ,too. I'll try trashing the preferences.
Re: Shorter clip length in Event Browser in FCP X (April 18, 2015 02:24AM) philsfilm
Ronny,

Someone on Creative Cow suggested this explanation:

"Something tells me that you're looking at a KEYWORD RANGE (i.e. a "subclip") in a keyword collection in the first image, not at the MASTER in the Event/Library."

I didn't select any range.
Re: Shorter clip length in Event Browser in FCP X (April 18, 2015 02:44AM) ronny courtens
Ah, the Cow, long time I've been there. Their FCP X help forum is quite good but that "discussion" forum is full of retards (-:

The advice is reasonable. Have you created any keyword collections at all?
Did you mark Favorites or rejects on any of those two clips?

Disclose the little triangle under the clips. Do you see any mention of keywords or ratings there?

With regard to tracking: if you need this there is an amazing plugin from Coremelt for FCP X. It's called TrackX/Mocha and it includes the industry-leading Mocha planar tracking device. Faster and more powerful than anything you can find in other NLEs or even in AE. It also works with high-end color correction plugins such as Color Finale. Combine these two and you have Resolve right in FCP X, plus of course the magnetic timeline that no other NLE has.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Shorter clip length in Event Browser in FCP X (April 18, 2015 03:28AM) philsfilm
Hi Ronny,

I'm not at my home computer now. This is in a Keyword collection but I don't remember selecting a range. I will check this next week when I get home.
Re: TrackX/Mocha, it came with Slice X but I have to pay extra to activate it. Color Finale sounds great. Who sells it?

Thanks so much,
Phil
Re: Shorter clip length in Event Browser in FCP X (April 18, 2015 03:37AM) ronny courtens
Re: Shorter clip length in Event Browser in FCP X (April 18, 2015 04:13AM) philsfilm
Very cool.Thanks, Ronny.
Re: Shorter clip length in Event Browser in FCP X (April 22, 2015 01:42AM) philsfilm
Yes, Ronny, the length of the clip in the Keyword Collection is shorter than the one in the overall Event although I don't think I intentionally selected that length. I would like to see the entire length of the clip in the Keyword Collection. Is there a way I can change it?

Thanks,
Phil
Re: Shorter clip length in Event Browser in FCP X (April 22, 2015 02:16AM) ronny courtens
Ah, that's the cause of the problem. And it's easy to solve:

The fastest way is to just delete the keyword collection, select the original clip in the Event and create a new keyword collection, making sure that you don't have a range selected on the clip. If you see a selected range you can delete it by pressing ALT+X.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login