Re: FCP 10.2 Draw Mask

FCP 10.2 Draw Mask (April 16, 2015 07:18AM) Ken Stone Admin
Just updated to 10.2, sorry Phil, it did not give the size of the update.

2 things.

1) I had thought that Draw Mask was included in the CC effect, but all I see is Shape Mask and Color Mask . Am I wrong, this would have been great.

2) Okay, I have a beach scene with two large umbrellas and I want to change the color of them. I place the clip into the timeline and then dupe the clip above. I apply the Draw Mask to the top clip and then draw a mask around the first umbrella, works great. Now I want to draw a mask around the second umbrella but I can find no way to do this. Am I missing something or is it that it can not be done?

Thanks,

--ken
Re: FCP 10.2 Draw Mask (April 16, 2015 10:18AM) ronny courtens
Hi Ken,

The Draw Mask is an effect. In order to use it with the Color Board you duplicate the clip and apply the Draw Mask to the top clip. Then you can color correct inside the mask ( correct top clip) or outside of the mask (correct lower clip).

To apply two or more Draw masks to a clip: make a duplicate for each mask you want to apply and mask out the different parts of the duplicated clips. The masks will be added to each other. Here you see two trees I have masked out and colored in red (quick and dirty for demonstration):

Best wishes,

Ronny

Re: FCP 10.2 Draw Mask (April 16, 2015 10:43AM) Ken Stone Admin
Each of my two superimposed clips have both draw mask and cc. This works but I can't seem to get the colors to match exactly.

--ken
Re: FCP 10.2 Draw Mask (April 16, 2015 10:58AM) Ken Stone Admin
The two different umbrellas are different colors to start with and they both have difference luminance values.

--ken
Re: FCP 10.2 Draw Mask (April 16, 2015 07:12PM) ronny courtens
Hi Ken,

You can still apply multiple color corrections to one clip, and you can use the built-in masks to make selective corrections inside or outside these masks. Maybe that can help?

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: FCP 10.2 Draw Mask (April 17, 2015 05:52AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Ronny,

Thanks for your help with this. Yes a few more tweaks and I got it pretty close. There was another scene with two umbrellas of the same color and exposure levels. These came out almost perfect. I sure do love 'Draw Mask'. Like the good old Photoshop days and Paths.

I took a look at the new scopes scheme. I like to have my video in the Viewer and centered below, just the Waveform monitor. There is still the issue of the width of the Waveform monitor not matching the width of the video above. This always worked properly in FCP legacy but never in FCp X. Don't know if this will ever be fixed.

Still, a good upgrade. A little something for everyone. For me, the Draw Mask, is worth the price of admission.

--ken
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login