Re: Yosemite & Java

Yosemite & Java (April 17, 2015 04:16AM) steve douglas
I finally got around to updating to Yosemite and now when I open Safari I get the first Java message appearing below. I went to their link and installed their update and still I get the same message on start up. I then went to the System Prefs and found Java in there with its several tabs but have no idea where I should go in these tabs and do what. I don't even know if Java is doing anything in the background or whether I should somehow figure a way to trash it as it is not something in the applications folder.
Another thing I noticed is that Yosemite does away with iPhoto so now there is this Photo app and I can see all my photos but they are no longer separated by the events I created. Tried to highlight them and create a project but that doesn't seem to work. Any suggestions on that one?
Thanks all,
Steve
Re: Yosemite & Java (April 17, 2015 07:09AM) VidGreg
Steve,
Unless you really need Java, do not install. Java is different than Javascript.
Java by Oracle is buggy and prone to malware. It is only needed in a few cases. Some evite services for example use Java. It is mostly used where user interaction is needed, but there are better alternatives.

If you do install make sure to scroll down the installer window and deselect "Install Ask.com." Ask.com is a adware company that is notorious for problems and adding adware/crapware to your browser. Oracle now defaults to installing this, but you can opt out. Really trust me, you DO NOT Want "Ask.com" on your computer. Shame on Oracle for doing this. Shame on website developers that still use Java.

Again, little need for Java. I make it a point to stay away from companies that require it. I have even sent emails to them and Oracle about using this POS in their service...

As to Photos, this is the new replacement for iPhoto and Aperture. If you just updated, then iPhoto should still exist unless you told the installer to migrate/replace iPhoto libraries. If you keep iPhoto, then Photos creates hard links to existing library or you can create a new independent Photos library.
You can continue to use iPhoto/Aperture along with Photos, but there are lots of quirks/differences.
If you did a clean install, you would need to reinstall iPhoto and recreate your libraries from backups.

Be careful with Photos; for example, deleting photos on any linked device(iPhone/pad), as this will totally delete the photo from your library. Bye bye, gone.
Also, you can no longer use an external photo editor, unless you export the photo, import to another app, export>import back into Photos, Yuck!! Please Apple restore roundtripping.
Also note, Photos iCloud counts against your Apple storage, so if you intend to store all photos there, expect to pay. The benefit is photos available on all Apple devices, and they do not have the 1,000pcs/30 day limitation. You can however still use Photo Stream under the old limitations.
Lots of info on the web about Photos. It started in iOS7.
Something new and fun to learn;-p

Hope this helps, Greg
Re: Yosemite & Java (April 17, 2015 08:01AM) steve douglas
Thanks Greg....since Java is not in the applications folder but is in the System Preferences, could you tell me how to delete it entirely. If I right click on it, it will say 'Delete Java Pane' but I don't know whether that would also delete any hidden metadata folders or whatever might be hiding somewhere. If you have specific steps to do this, please share them.
Appreciate the response,
Steve

Re: Yosemite & Java (April 18, 2015 04:25AM) VidGreg
Re: Yosemite & Java (April 18, 2015 05:03AM) steve douglas
Big thanks Greg....since I haven't used Terminal in a very long time, I went to the 2nd article and followed the easy steps. Java is no longer part of my life and is out of the system prefs as well. Actually, I didn't realize Java was even there until I updated to Yosemite and that is when I started getting all those Java messages. Gone now.
Much appreciated Greg.
Steve
Re: Yosemite & Java (April 18, 2015 07:26AM) ronny courtens
Well, well, we can still learn something new every day. I didn't even know I had Java installed on my home machine but I found it in the directories you mentioned. Used Terminal and good riddance! Thanks, Greg.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Yosemite & Java (April 18, 2015 01:10PM) VidGreg
You both are welcome.
Glad to help. Happy computing:-)
Greg
Re: Yosemite & Java (April 18, 2015 01:07PM) steve douglas
Well, followed directions in the 2nd article to a T. Came home and there was still that warning message. Went to System prefs and checked all the folders the article said to and nothing reeking of Java. Went to the Finder and typed in JAVA and this is what I found. Just sent these to the trash as well. Ronny, I had no idea it was there either until I finally updated to Yosemite and then came all the messages.
Steve

Re: Yosemite & Java (April 18, 2015 01:57PM) VidGreg
Hi Steve,
Java is not the same as Javascript.
I don't have Plural Eyes, but it looks like this is just reference material/script within the Pluraleyes manual. It is possible that this was the Javascript for locating search enquiries within the Pluraleyes help. Sorry I can't check it for you. Open up Plural Eyes help and try to search for something. If it fails you might need to reinstall the Help Manual for Pluraleyes or full install.

Make sure you shut down and restart your computer after you delete the files in the article. It is possible it just hasn't cleared the cache and this is a runtime routine that is queued.
It is also possible that you picked up malware, and this is E.T. calling home to install more badness.

If Java is still sending up a download pop-up, Go to Safari and any other Browsers you have or had installed and check in Preferences to see if Java (not Javascript) shows up there. In Safari it will show up under the Security Tab. (Javascript also shows up here with a different checkbox). If so, check Library>Application Support>Java (or Oracle).
Items with the suffix js is javascript. Javascript is generally okay to have running and it is needed by many different programs like databases.

As I said, I mostly use Terminal to remove (rm) programs like this. Since I do not have Java installed on my computers, I can't actually run a find in Terminal to check if there are any other files for you. You might try a program like "Trash Me" or something similar that finds all associated files to trash. From the article I linked too, it looked complete to just use the GUI and Trash. It is possible that some files were left behind.

Ronny, did you just run the Terminal commands in the linked articles, or did you run list in Terminal first? Did you just copy and paste the commands from the article? They looked good to me. I just always hesitate to recommend sudo rm if someone is not comfortable with Terminal.

Steve, I suspect that either you didn't shut down the computer, or maybe it is getting reinstalled via a backup/syncing program??? or maybe malware. If it is malware, then it will not show up as an Oracle sourced file. It will install files in other locations in using different names. You may have to run a anti-virus detection program(s) to find it. There a few good free ones like ClamXav.
This is the reason not to install Java in the first place as it is a target for injection of nasties. Flash is the other program to watch out for and to keep up to date as it has a history of attacks/hacks.

Let us know what you find out and if it continues. Whatever you do, don't click on any download links that randomly pop up.

Hope this helps, Greg
Re: Yosemite & Java (April 19, 2015 04:59AM) steve douglas
Thanks Greg...I found a Java folder under Oracle and trashed it and also found in Safari's preferences that 'Enable Java Script' was checked. I unchecked it. I do have ClamX but it has been so many years since it was used, I forgot just how but will look it up. This was the message that would come up when the computer was booted in the morning.
Steve
Re: Yosemite & Java (April 19, 2015 05:57AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Steve,

Java = bad, JavaScript = okay. There is a big difference between the two.

You do need JavaScript to help run some web sites, so you should have JavaScript turned on in Safari.

--ken
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login