Re: FCS3 (FCP7) Log Capture from Thunderbolt?

FCS3 (FCP7) Log Capture from Thunderbolt? (May 19, 2015 02:29AM) JRTheFerret
Hey everyone, question. I've got a iMac that's a few years old. It has FIREWIRE800 AND it has a Thunderbolt port as well. Up till now i've been able to capture from my FW800 but now with new tech, I'm having to use Thunderbolt cables. I've been all over the internet and i've been all through my audio/video settings... is there any way to make FCP7 capture from a Thunderbolt signal? Or is there a Thunderbolt Female/Female coupler OR a Thunderbolt Female to FIREWIRE Female/Male cable?

It's a 27in Mid 2010 iMac with OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 on it.

Thanks so much.
JR
Re: FCS3 (FCP7) Log Capture from Thunderbolt? (May 19, 2015 04:36AM) Ken Stone Admin
Re: FCS3 (FCP7) Log Capture from Thunderbolt? (May 19, 2015 06:14AM) JRTheFerret
I'm sorry. I always try to be as descriptive as possible, let me see if I can clarify.

I do have A firewire 800 and that works just fine. But new technology I have ends with a THUNDERBOLT not Firewire.

My computer has a THUNDERBOLT connection. Now since I can't go Thunderbolt Female to FireWire male (or does that exist? I'd even take HDMI to Firewire800), I was wondering if there was anyway for me to set up my FCP7 to accept the signal coming IN from my thunderbolt wire.
Re: FCS3 (FCP7) Log Capture from Thunderbolt? (May 19, 2015 06:19AM) Ken Stone Admin
Still don't understand.

You said

"But new technology I have ends with a THUNDERBOLT not Firewire"

What new technology?

What device are you trying to capture from?

--ken
Re: FCS3 (FCP7) Log Capture from Thunderbolt? (May 19, 2015 08:14AM) JRTheFerret
I've got to edit a clients video. Some of their footage is burned onto a blue ray disk and the only BL player I have is my PS3.

It has the HDMI, HDMI to Thunderbolt, Thunderbolt into my computer. My FCP7 doesn't recognize the thunderbolt signal. Is there away to set my FCP7 to accept the Thunderbolt signal coming into my computer instead of the FireWire connection.
Re: FCS3 (FCP7) Log Capture from Thunderbolt? (May 19, 2015 08:39AM) Ken Stone Admin
Sorry, I don't have an answer for you.

What you are talking about is 'ripping' from a Blu-ray. If it does not have DRM (copyright protection) then there might be some third party software that will enable you to rip from the Blu-ray to your computer. From there you could import it into FCP.

Anyone?????

--ken
Re: FCS3 (FCP7) Log Capture from Thunderbolt? (May 19, 2015 10:01AM) JRTheFerret
I don't want to rip anything from any Copy Written movies. Though a "let's Play" would be nice. Regardless, the question is this.

Can Final Cut Pro 7 be set up to Log And Capture from the Thunderbolt signal?

I have a signal coming in from my Thunderbolt, Can I set up my FCP7 to log capture from that? Is there something in the Audio/VIdeo Settings that will allow me to capture the video which is coming into my computer from my Thunderbolt?

When I go into Device Control Preset OR Capture Preset, is there an option (ex HDV-Apple ProRess 422) that I can choose that will allow my FCP7 to recognize the information coming in from my Thunderbolt that's already attached to my computer so I can log and capture from that?

Log and Transfer is mainly used for taking footage saved on a Flashdrive from a video camera and imported into FCP7 and Log and Capture can be set up to capture signals coming in from the FW connection... Is there a setting in Audio/Video Settings to tell my FCP7 to Log Capture from Thunderbolt and Not Firewire.
Re: FCS3 (FCP7) Log Capture from Thunderbolt? (May 19, 2015 11:32AM) JRTheFerret
I may just have to buy the BLACKMAGIC... though $300.00+ hit... OWIE!
Re: FCS3 (FCP7) Log Capture from Thunderbolt? (May 19, 2015 12:04PM) XGTV
I don't think Blackmagic will help. The problem with your game plan is that HDMI capture from a camera is different to the HDMI from a game console or Blu Ray player as they all honor HDCP in their output and will only handshake with a TV. Never tried computer capture but that's what I understand. Best to do some research before thinking of spending any money this idea
Re: FCS3 (FCP7) Log Capture from Thunderbolt? (May 19, 2015 05:08PM) Joe Redifer
You can't capture PS3 through HDMI unless you strip the HDCP from the signal. Not even gameplay (which is stupid). You can use component video with something like the Intensity Thunderbolt but you'll be limited to 720p because Blackmagic is always behind on their technology and it can't capture at 1080p beyond 24 frames per second. And even to get the Blu-ray playing, you'd have to see the PS3's XMB which is 1080P 60fps. So you'd have to set the console to 720p

Tell the client that their submitted medium is unacceptable. This is THEIR problem, not yours.

Re: FCS3 (FCP7) Log Capture from Thunderbolt? (May 20, 2015 05:59AM) JRTheFerret
In the subject of DHCP, I ran into the issue with my iLink in the days of VCR. I had to do the highlights of a F1 racer to music and export it to VCR. The DVD was coded. Importing and Editing wasn't an issue, exporting to .MOV wasn't an issue. Exporting it to the VCR for the party where it was going to be played at was. The footage behaved the same as if you feed the DVD signal through a VCR before running that to a TV. What I did notice was that all the BW effects and Crossfades didn't have the same "flip" problem the other clips did. Apparently adding an effect to the footage in FCP/iMovie neutralized the code. So I just added a Color Correction effect and didn't change the color.

It appears as though the Intensity Thunderbolt does the same thing... however, it still comes out as "Thunderbolt". Do I need to get a Thunderbolt to Firewire connector OR is there a setting that I can put FCP7 on that will recognize the Thunderbolt signal.

I have MPEG Streamclip, I've transcoded things from NOT Apple ProRess 422 to Apple ProRess 422, in it i have the option to it from 720 to 1920X1080 as well as any frame rate i want (With in reason).

Thank you all for your patients and advice.
Re: FCS3 (FCP7) Log Capture from Thunderbolt? (May 20, 2015 06:10AM) Joe Redifer
Your DVD was encoded with Macrovision, which is evil.

The Intesity Thunderbolt is not really a recommended product and it certainly won't work in your situation. There's no such thing as a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter. That's like trying to plug a firehose into a breathing tube. The Intensity has it's own capture software. FCP7 can capture from the Intensity but I don't know why you'd want to. FCP7 gets confused easily so it's be best just to use Blackmagic Media Express which comes with the device.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login