Re: DVD Studio Pro 4 - Pixelated video

DVD Studio Pro 4 - Pixelated video (June 22, 2015 07:12AM) Rogue2x
Im using DVD Studio Pro 4 for the first time (used to iDVD). I studied a tutorial before starting this project and everything seemed to be going smooth until i burned and tested the final product. The video and graphics are look low quality on the final DVD. I attached a screen cap showing the master video i exported and what i got on DVD to show the difference.

Its quite possible i simply need to make an adjustment to the project but being new to this software i have no idea where to start. Any ideas or links to tutorials, etc would be extremely appreciated. Thanks.
Re: DVD Studio Pro 4 - Pixelated video (June 22, 2015 07:43AM) Joe Redifer
Can you perhaps post a bigger screenshot?
Re: DVD Studio Pro 4 - Pixelated video (June 22, 2015 07:50AM) Ken Stone Admin
Also tell us where you compressed your video, in DVD SP or Compressor.

What version of FCP are you using?

How long is your video and what was you average and max bit rate settings?

--ken
Re: DVD Studio Pro 4 - Pixelated video (June 22, 2015 08:03AM) Rogue2x
Using FCP7 and bit rate settings in DVDSP were default 18mbps and 27mbps
Re: DVD Studio Pro 4 - Pixelated video (June 22, 2015 08:14AM) Ken Stone Admin
How long is your video?????

Not sure about your bit rate settings. Should be something like 5.5 Mbps average and 7.8 Mbps Max (this would be for a 105 minute video).

--ken
Re: DVD Studio Pro 4 - Pixelated video (June 22, 2015 08:31AM) Rogue2x
Video is approx 35 minutes.

I haven't touched the bit rate from the defaults but any advice you could give me on that would be great.

Thank you for your help.
Re: DVD Studio Pro 4 - Pixelated video (June 22, 2015 08:00AM) Rogue2x
Re: DVD Studio Pro 4 - Pixelated video (June 22, 2015 11:18AM) Joe Redifer
I would compress using Compressor. That's the only way DVDSP can do progressive (480p) video. Is your originating video 480p? If not you'll need to have Compressor scale it down and make sure it does a good job at it. Just by eyeballing it it kind of looks like you shot the footage in 1080i and DVDSP tried to shrink to to 480i maybe. It looks like bad scaling of an originally interlaced image.

Interlacing is the devil.
Re: DVD Studio Pro 4 - Pixelated video (June 22, 2015 11:24AM) Rogue2x
Thanks Joe,

The Original footage was 1080i....i'll try compressor to see if that helps...any advice on settings for 35 min video?

Thanks again i really appreciate the help.

Regan
Re: DVD Studio Pro 4 - Pixelated video (June 22, 2015 12:41PM) Joe Redifer
I'd keep the bit rate between 6.7 and 8.5. For the downscaling (resize) choose "better".

Also set up an AC3 export for the audio. Choose the highest bit rate you can. You'll get an M2V file and an AC3 file. If you use linear PCM for the audio you must lower the video bit rate.
Re: DVD Studio Pro 4 - Pixelated video (June 22, 2015 02:08PM) Rogue2x
Tried it again after using compressor. Worked perfectly from what i can see. Thanks again!!
Re: DVD Studio Pro 4 - Pixelated video (June 22, 2015 12:44PM) Joe Redifer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login