Re: Learning Final Cut X

Learning Final Cut X (July 09, 2015 10:00AM) jrosson
Folks,

We are learning Final Cut X.

Is there a simple way to add an audio dissolve? The command T still adds the video dissolve as it did in legacy seven. But command option seven no longer does the same for the audio equivalent. Anyway to do this without audio keyframes?

And although the shortcut for "play to end"Is listed in the keyboard shortcuts, we cannot get it to work. Is there a way to reconfigure shortcuts?

Thank you,
JR
Re: Learning Final Cut X (July 10, 2015 03:27AM) VidGreg
Re: Learning Final Cut X (July 11, 2015 10:59PM) jrosson
Greg,
It helps a ton. Thank you for your detailed response.
Digging in.
JR
Re: Learning Final Cut X (July 13, 2015 02:12AM) VidGreg
You're welcome JR.
One of the many audio tips I didn't mention is the use of the "Range" tool in FCPX. I find this extremely useful.
You can use the Range Tool (keyboard R) to select a range within a clip. Within the range, you can then change audio levels and automation points are added to both sides of the range. This works on audio within a video clip as well as audio only clips.
Much faster than manually adding 4 automation points to change the levels for a portion of a clip(s). It works across clips in the timeline.
If you hold down on the "R" key, then click and drag a range, release the mouse button and then release the "R" key, your selection tool reverts to whatever you had used before.
Holding a tool command key and doing the action creates a temporary tool (blade, range, etc…) just make sure to hold while doing the action, then release. Saves a few key strokes/clicks.

Happy Editing
Hope this helps, Greg
Re: Learning Final Cut X (July 13, 2015 03:43AM) jrosson
Man I am all about saving clicks with shortcuts.
This is very useful -- thanks.
In re-reading, I should have been more clear about 'play to end.' It works. What I'm trying to find is a keyboard shortcut similar to the 'shift + return' in 7 -- that plays to the end of the selection or range (as opposed to the entire clip).
JR
Re: Learning Final Cut X (July 13, 2015 04:05AM) VidGreg
Hi JR,
You mean this…

"To play a section of a project, selected clips, or a frame range from the beginning: Select the project, clips, or all or part of a clip, and choose View > Playback > Play Selection, or press the Slash (/) key.
When you select a clip or a portion of a clip or project, the selected area is marked with a yellow border."
User guide pg 74.

You can also loop selections.

Hope this helps, Greg
Re: Learning Final Cut X (July 13, 2015 01:49PM) jrosson
Greg – thanks but I found that and understand how that works. It's play to the end of a selection that I'm after. For instance, if you have a range selected and you just want to play the last two seconds before the out. The handy ' shift + return' did that very nicely in legacy 7.
Re: Learning Final Cut X (July 14, 2015 04:58AM) VidGreg
Hi JR
Really getting rusty on FCP7 shortcuts. Thought shift+return opened new window??

For playing to the end of selection from playhead the shortcut is Shift+Control+O (O for out)

Don't have FCPX open right now, but I think this is just from playhead, not the skimmer position. (???)
If it also works for the skimmer, easy to repeat but I think it stops at end and you have to reposition playhead each time??

You could also set a marker where you want to start playback and use Control+; (semi-colon) to navigate playhead back to previous marker each time to rewind.

There is also Shift+? to play around playhead.

Finally, you could just set a new In point (i) for the selection/range and play the selection (/) Fast and easy.

To be honest, I use the skimmer a lot, and space bar will start playing from skimmer if skimming is on. This works in event browser, project library (in filmstrip view) or timeline. Skimming is fast.
While editing I'll park the playhead in the timeline for something I want to replace or add a clip and use the skimmer in the event browser or library to view clips and hit I/O keys to select range and insert or add as connected clip. Playhead stays in place.

Shortcuts are great, but I can only remember so many at a time. I tend to (re)learn the ones I need for whatever stage of editing I'm at and forget them way too soon. CRS strikes again!
Happy Editing

Hope one of these helps, Greg
Re: Learning Final Cut X (July 14, 2015 03:14PM) jrosson
Greg -- copy all the above -- and I hearya on skimmer and shortcuts.
I really think that skimmer's great -- but we're still novices and getting used to it. And the shortcuts you use are the ones you remember -- and likewise for us there's only so many combos on easy recall.
You should see this cheat sheet with scribbled notes -- yeesh.
We're trying not to get too caught up in the way we used to do it -- and so far we're not. I like X now and I think I'm going to like it a lot better.
Here's a question you might have an answer for -- is there a workaround for roundtripping with Motion 5? Or are the capabilities now within X?
We would time to video and splay out graphics roundtripping, and I'm not deep enough in yet to know if X handles that internally now.
Thanks for the help,
JR
Re: Learning Final Cut X (July 14, 2015 06:40PM) VidGreg
Re: Learning Final Cut X (July 20, 2015 02:42AM) jrosson
Greg, thanks for your help.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login