Re: my new lap top too new for old fcp 7?!?!? say it ain't so!!!

my new lap top too new for old fcp 7?!?!? say it ain't so!!! (July 19, 2015 02:13PM) gijacklin
Okay I whined bout this one before. Hoping and praying there has been found a work around since then. I got the stupid new mac book pro about a half a year ago. FCP won't work on it. Due to whatever Ken said last time. Please tell me there is a work around. I"m on road with hours and hours of footage I can't even get off tapes or cards with this piece of @#$%& lap top. I will smash it soon anyway I think. Unless there is a work around...
Re: my new lap top too new for old fcp 7?!?!? say it ain't so!!! (July 20, 2015 12:10AM) VidGreg
Re: my new lap top too new for old fcp 7?!?!? say it ain't so!!! (July 20, 2015 12:28AM) ronny courtens
As Greg said, FCP runs fine on any current Mac and OS. It even will run fine on the coming new OS. If you could explain exactly what the problem is, we will probably be able to find a solution.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: my new lap top too new for old fcp 7?!?!? say it ain't so!!! (July 20, 2015 02:53AM) philsfilm
"the coming new OS", Ronny? Another one? When is that happening and what is Apple calling it.
Hopefully, FCP 7, DVD SP4 and Compressor will survive.

-Phil
Re: my new lap top too new for old fcp 7?!?!? say it ain't so!!! (July 20, 2015 03:29AM) ronny courtens
Hey Phil,

It's called "El Capitan" and it's in public beta at this time. Release is scheduled for Fall 2015. There are significant under-the-hood improvements in this OS that will directly affect future FCP X performance. Classic FCP should work the same on El Capitan as it does on Yosemite, unless something drastically changes between now and the final release. If this should happen, you always can continue to use FCS on a different partition.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: my new lap top too new for old fcp 7?!?!? say it ain't so!!! (July 20, 2015 03:43AM) philsfilm
Hi Ronny,

That's great to hear about improvements that will affect FCP X's performance. Although I am getting the hang of it, I still find it a bit buggy and unstable. That is, when I open a project, things aren't always where I left them. Although it has some wonderful features, I'm still not finding it as rock solid and tried-and-true as legacy FCP. There is one particular 25 minute film, cut on FCP 7, that I'm still required to make minor adjustments on. It's heavy-duty effects laden and I've tried transferring it to FCP X using 7 to X XML program and it doesn't work. So I really need FCP 7.0.3. I do have it backed up on a separate drive with Yosemite OS.
As for DVDSP4, that's a standby that I really need as well.
In any case, Ronny, I know you'll keep us posted as to their status.

Thanks,,
Phil
Re: my new lap top too new for old fcp 7?!?!? say it ain't so!!! (July 20, 2015 04:25AM) ronny courtens
Hi Phil,

Many filters won't carry over from 7 to X. So yes it is a good idea to keep FCP7 on a separate partition, same as DVDSP.

Actually I find FCP X to be quite stable, and that's also the opinion of the editors at the facilities that I have helped switching in the past years. If you have any stability or performance issues, the first thing you should do is create a new admin user and see if the problems are still there when launching FCP X with the new user. FCP X is very closely integrated with the OS, so whenever anything goes wrong with your user directory this will affect FCP X as well. Restoring a user directory is very simple, and it leads to immediate performance gains.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: my new lap top too new for old fcp 7?!?!? say it ain't so!!! (July 20, 2015 04:55AM) gijacklin
i wish I had the link to the last time I asked this question. I remember Ken said in time there may be a way. But problem is my piece of crap I wasted $2400 on won't run on an old OS that FCP will operate on. I've got 10.9.5 on here and FCP 7 won't load?
Re: my new lap top too new for old fcp 7?!?!? say it ain't so!!! (July 20, 2015 12:48AM) VidGreg
Re: my new lap top too new for old fcp 7?!?!? say it ain't so!!! (July 20, 2015 05:24AM) gijacklin
Okay that is all really confusing for me and didn't help. I am stuck and will have to drive 2 days to get my old computer from storage if I can't figure this out. Heck I used to be able to run imovie to at least get thet footage from tape to computer and the newest version of imovie might as well be in Chinese! WTF did they do to that program?

Anyway if anyone knows what I can do? Is there another free editing software I can download? I only need to take the footage from mini dv to the lap top and take out the uhms and awes. Then put on youtube. Do I even need FCP 7 for that?

Also I just bought a CF card reader and when I plugged it in to my lap top it showed for a bit but now it never does? When I plug it in to my friends PC it does read? wtf? I swear I need to make it big soon so I can hire people that are not retarded like me. I'm saving the fricken world here of cancer and autism and I can't @#$%& edit a damn youtube video? Lord have mercy!
Re: my new lap top too new for old fcp 7?!?!? say it ain't so!!! (July 20, 2015 07:13AM) gijacklin
Okay so the Staples guy said this is common for Macs to not be able to read card readers. Wow and I though Pc's were the ones that sucked? So my only work around is to buy a 64 gig stick. Transfer the files to his pc then to stick then to my mac. Lordy. Not like I'm trying to save America from going full Nazi and forcing vaccines on Cali babies. lol.

Now if I do that my question is how can I learn imovie in a couple hours to at least get the video on a time line and take out the um's and ah's... or is there something easier?

Don't know what I'd do with out this group. Especially when on the road. Thanks guys.
Re: my new lap top too new for old fcp 7?!?!? say it ain't so!!! (July 20, 2015 07:28AM) ronny courtens
Re: my new lap top too new for old fcp 7?!?!? say it ain't so!!! (July 20, 2015 08:34AM) gijacklin
okay thanks Ronny I hpoe that helps. Watching now but already i see my first problem I still shoot on tape. Mini DV. How do I get that from my camera through the old fire wire we always used for FCP 7 to my lap top imovie program? That is the question.
Re: my new lap top too new for old fcp 7?!?!? say it ain't so!!! (July 20, 2015 08:42AM) ronny courtens
Re: my new lap top too new for old fcp 7?!?!? say it ain't so!!! (July 20, 2015 03:17PM) gijacklin
your awesome. for the road i can deal with imovie youtubers fo sho! Cheers bud!
Re: my new lap top too new for old fcp 7?!?!? say it ain't so!!! (July 20, 2015 07:30PM) ronny courtens
And what's more: once you are familiar with the basics of iMovie, you will find it extremely easy to make the step to FCP X.

Try this: once you have finished your edits in iMovie, download the free trial of FCP X.
Then in iMovie select your Project and choose File > Send to Final Cut Pro.

FCP X will launch automatically and BAM: your complete iMovie timeline will open in FCP X, including all the effects, titles and audio changes you have made, and you will be able to use the vast arsenal of tools inside FCP X to fine-tune your edit.

It's a workflow that is used in television, where reporters can do rough cuts of their stories in iMovie while they are traveling and once they get in the studio they seamlessly switch to FCP X to create the final programs.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: my new lap top too new for old fcp 7?!?!? say it ain't so!!! (July 22, 2015 12:24PM) gijacklin
Awesome already i'm loving being back in the game. so funny i was so scared to try something new but already I'm loving how in the middle of a sequence I can click a button and record me commenting on my video?! lol. I used to have to set up my camera and put that on tape then get it off tape to computer and edit in. Now you just use the cam on your lap top. Awesome!

One problem though... I finished the video and it's about an hour or hour and half and it's taking 10 hours to upload? What can I do about that?
Re: my new lap top too new for old fcp 7?!?!? say it ain't so!!! (July 22, 2015 06:53PM) ronny courtens
If you are uploading directly to YT from the timeline there are two factors that will determine how long this will take:

1. The conversion of your timeline to H.264
2. The speed of your internet connection.

Converting a timeline to YouTube specifications can take a really long time, especially on a machine that does not have fast multicore processors. Count around 4 x realtime on an i5 MBP, which means 6 hours for a 90 minute timeline. And then the converted file needs to be uploaded to Youtube, which also can take hours if your program is that long. So I'm afraid what you see is quite normal.

You could use a two-step process, first exporting the timeline to a file instead of straight to youtube.

-Export using the 1280x720 "Normal" settings in iMovie, which will give you an MP4 file. This should go faster, but don't count on any miracles.
- Then manually upload the MP4 file to YT via your browser.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: my new lap top too new for old fcp 7?!?!? say it ain't so!!! (August 02, 2015 02:27PM) gijacklin
OMG I finally got the connection for fire wire to usb since that's what my stupid new mac book pro has and it still doesn't work. I've orded the Thunderbolt to Fire Wire cable but it's not in stock anywhere on the planet apparently. I'm like... really? Fricken Apple! Fire wire was not broke so why try to fix!!! aaarrrgggghhhh!!!

So I'm screwed right till I find someone that sells a fire wire 800 to Thunderbolt. It is 800 right? The rectangle one. Not square? Is the 400 square or rectangle? I can never remember?
Re: my new lap top too new for old fcp 7?!?!? say it ain't so!!! (August 02, 2015 06:37PM) gijacklin
I need to pull clips off of youtube video's. is there a screen capture type program I can use so not to have to down load each movie in total? Just the clips I want?
Re: my new lap top too new for old fcp 7?!?!? say it ain't so!!! (August 02, 2015 06:45PM) ronny courtens
Re: my new lap top too new for old fcp 7?!?!? say it ain't so!!! (August 02, 2015 07:25PM) gijacklin
wow thanks so much! okay i guess cuz i'm in mountains and there are no stores around not even does staples have them? And I ordered from Amazon and it's been over a week and a half and still not in storage.
Re: my new lap top too new for old fcp 7?!?!? say it ain't so!!! (August 02, 2015 07:28PM) ronny courtens
Yes, I have noticed they are out of stock at Amazon. But you can get it right away from the Apple Store.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: my new lap top too new for old fcp 7?!?!? say it ain't so!!! (August 03, 2015 03:21AM) Christoph Vonrhein
Re: my new lap top too new for old fcp 7?!?!? say it ain't so!!! (August 04, 2015 04:00PM) gijacklin
Okay wow I'm even dumber than I thought. The whole time there was a HDMI connection to my Sony Hvr Z7u camera and the new laptop. And I've got those darnn cables everywhere. lol. But now I got it connected to my lap top it's not reading it? And I've noticed this lap top won't read some card readers I plug in either? I have the latest mbp 2.2 ghz intel cor i7.

What am i doing wrong. The camer is finally attched to the new lap top but not seeing it? Help!!! I'm so close!
Re: my new lap top too new for old fcp 7?!?!? say it ain't so!!! (August 09, 2015 02:05PM) gijacklin
nope not so dume afterall. the hdmi to camera is out but so is the laptop. out only. so close. still waiting on apple to deliver the thing. this lap top won't read cared readers either so I connect CF card to my friends PC right in the slot which is nice and the drag and drop the files through clip art then to a mem stick. Then to my lap top. Real pain in ass. Can't wait for that cable to arrive!
Re: my new lap top too new for old fcp 7?!?!? say it ain't so!!! (August 09, 2015 04:19PM) VidGreg
Re: my new lap top too new for old fcp 7?!?!? say it ain't so!!! (August 09, 2015 04:33PM) gijacklin
thanks Greg. i am happy again bud. damn i missed this @#$%&. i still hate not being able to use fcp 7. but what are ya going to do? feed the archons and swear? yep. mother @#$%&! I miss 7 ;) soon as I can afford the x I'll give it a shot. thinking about trying the free one for a bit. I'm starting to feel better in imovie.

where im' at till the new cables come to get me from thunderbolt through the 800 to 400 and finally my camera is taking the cf card and putting it in my friends PC. If I could edit it there I would but I can't so I have to take it from there to my mac. but i shoot long takes. hour long shows. so i can't fit it on my stick drive when they are that huge. can only take over up to 4 gigs. So I'm stuck still. Is there no way to grab that off the PC desk top with my mac?
Re: my new lap top too new for old fcp 7?!?!? say it ain't so!!! (August 09, 2015 07:07PM) ronny courtens
Re: my new lap top too new for old fcp 7?!?!? say it ain't so!!! (August 09, 2015 07:33PM) gijacklin
I'm definitely getting calm and thanks for reminding me to breath. And your validation i'm on right track for being a mobile "real news" reporter with this FCP X is good for me to know. I didn't want to learn it just to spite the mf'ers that did that to us but at the end of the day just time to look forward. The new card reader didn't work. My old one does but it wth everything else is in Storage in LA and I'm in n cal.

Anyway I just hope the new cables get here so I can get to work and save the babies from the Baby Killers in CA. Thanks again for eveyrones support!

;)
Re: my new lap top too new for old fcp 7?!?!? say it ain't so!!! (August 10, 2015 04:11AM) VidGreg
After reading the manual for the Sony HVR Z7u here's what I found, I think.
No USB out, Good idea though Ronny.
Sony iLink, 6pin "alpha" connector. Looks like a Bullet, rectangular but rounded on one end. (More or less the same as FW400 but without power) FW800 was a square 9 pin connector.
A/V connector, SD resolution only.
Early HDMI (1.0?) out connector. (4:2:0??)
Can write to either/both Tape(DVCAM/miniDV) or to Memory Card Duo.
Uses Sony proprietary formats.
HDV for HD(1080i) and DV for SD(480). (Long GOP??)

You should be able to use the TB to FW800 Apple adapter with a FW800 - 400 cable with standard connectors.
Not sure why your CF reader is not working, make sure you check for updates even if brand new.
You should be able to "see" the reader clicking on the Apple icon>About This Mac> More Info>System Report> and then whatever connection the reader uses; usb, etc…
If you don't see it, check/replace the cable or you may have a defective unit. If you see it but can't connect, most likely the driver.

iMovie may be all you need, but it does lack all the power you get with FCPX. I use it sometimes just for the "Trailers" feature. Gives kids a thrill.

As shown in this thread and the link I provided to the thread here in KS forums, you can install FCP7 via ISO. Scroll down and follow the instruction by Graeme Herwig. You will need the registration number. I wouldn't bother, but to each their own said the old lady as she kissed the cow.

FW is not capable of keeping up with modern resolutions/bandwidth needs for video. USB(3/3.1), ThunderBolt(1,2,3) all so much faster. Technology just doesn't stand still. Everything is outdated by the time you get it out of box.

Hope this helps, Greg
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login