Re: DaVinci Resolve 12 Beta

DaVinci Resolve 12 Beta (July 27, 2015 10:51PM) philsfilm
Re: DaVinci Resolve 12 Beta (July 28, 2015 02:24AM) ronny courtens
Been working with it for awhile. Give it another 1 or 2 years and it will become a serious contender for other track-based NLEs. The only thing that still makes it a bit weak at this time is that it requires very fast hardware to make it work smoothly. But that will change, after all it's only 4 years old. Plus it is a perfect companion to FCP X. Together they make a killer combination.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: DaVinci Resolve 12 Beta (July 28, 2015 04:10AM) philsfilm
Hi Ronny,

I have iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011), Processor: 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, Memory: 20 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1024 MB.

Will it work smoothly on my system? Is it worth playing with? I have DaVinci 11 Lite but haven't worked with it much.
How does it compare with 11?
Most of my time has been learning and working with FCP X and Motion 5.2.

As always,
Thanks so much for your valuable input,
Phil
Re: DaVinci Resolve 12 Beta (July 28, 2015 04:21AM) ronny courtens
Hi Phil,

It will "work" but you will probably get a warning that your GPU is not recommended for Resolve. Playback will be choppy on large files and you will see quite a lot of bugs. But I'm sure they will get these bugs sorted out, given some time.

Compared to 11 it's a decent advancement, but still not capable to be used as a full-fledged NLE. It tends to crash often, in this respect it kinda feels like working with Premiere CC. If BM gets the Resolve playback sorted out, Adobe should be really worried. Organizing and editing in FCP X and finishing in Resolve while preserving editing capabilities could become a very powerful combination in the near future for the few people who need to do this.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: DaVinci Resolve 12 Beta (July 28, 2015 04:26AM) philsfilm
I wouldn't do any serious work in it yet, Ronny. Just practice with existing files from old projects and "get my feet wet".
Re: DaVinci Resolve 12 Beta (July 28, 2015 04:26AM) ronny courtens
Then you should give it a try.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login