Re: Double Layer DVD Disc Question

Double Layer DVD Disc Question (July 28, 2015 12:20AM) UptownVideo
I have never used dual layer discs before.

Will they "only" offer a benefit of longer run time?

Or can one increase the bit rate (say on shorter videos of 2hrs run time or less) to yield a higher quality video...If the bit rate can be increased for higher quality, what VBR (and max bitrate) would be a good setting for the encoding to play on most players. Thanks.

Phil

Re: Double Layer DVD Disc Question (July 28, 2015 08:14AM) Joe Redifer
Dual layer DVDs are tricky. First of all you ARE making your DVDs with Dolby Digital .ac3 files, right? Not straight LPCM .AIFF files or MOVs with uncompressed audio? You really need to make sure you import .m2v and .ac3 files into DVD Studio Pro rather than let it do the compression itself if you want the best quality. With .AC3 audio files, you can raise the video bitrate up to about 8.3 or 8.5mbps or so and have the low end at around 7.2mbps. DVD bandwidth is only so much and .AC3 files use a heck of a lot less of it than uncompressed linear PCM audio. The max you can do for video bandwidth is around 8.9mbps if memory serves

After that, then yes dual layer offers more space. You need to find a break point which I always thought was dumb, but that's the way it is. And it can be a pain. On Blu-ray you don't have to do that.

Re: Double Layer DVD Disc Question (July 29, 2015 03:29AM) UptownVideo
I appreciate the help from you both...and great info.

I exported from FCP 7 using Export>Quicktime Movie>current settings (Edited in Pro Res (not HQ). Perhaps that's why I am having quality issues with the DVD I made in DVD SP (noisy looking). What settings should I use in compressor for my 1hr 23min movie. Then I can give it another try in DVD SP....Thanks to both again.

Phil
Re: Double Layer DVD Disc Question (July 29, 2015 03:29AM) UptownVideo
I appreciate the help from you both...and great info.

I exported from FCP 7 using Export>Quicktime Movie>current settings (Edited in Pro Res (not HQ). Perhaps that's why I am having quality issues with the DVD I made in DVD SP (noisy looking). What settings should I use in compressor for my 1hr 23min movie. Then I can give it another try in DVD SP....Thanks to both again.

Phil
Re: Double Layer DVD Disc Question (August 04, 2015 06:57AM) Videot
Hi, Phil -

You need to use one of the DVD encoding options in Compressor... sounds like you can get away with 90 minutes, best quality. Be prepared for a noticeable difference from your source material to final DVD output as you'll be cutting your resolution easily in half (DVDs are only SD — Standard Def — so you'll be reduced to 854x480 right off the bat, and then further downsized by using MPEG-2 compression).

If you have lots of menus — especially with motion in them — your disc may still be too large to burn. If you find that 90 min/best quality/AC3 audio gives you errors about disc size, turn off motions in your menus or reduce the number of menus in the project.

- Mike
Re: Double Layer DVD Disc Question (August 04, 2015 10:31AM) UptownVideo
Thanks Mike for the info. My problem is the person who filmed this video for me didn't use a light and the video (subjects and the background are dark and look noisy). The problem gets much worse with noise when on DVD. I was trying to figure a way to minimize the noise when going to DVD...Not really sure what's the best solution. The Exported movie in 75GB before going to DVD SP....,,,,Has anyone ever given a client a video on a USB flash drive or some alternative and is that even possible to play a video on a HD TV from a flash drive, etc...

Re: Double Layer DVD Disc Question (August 05, 2015 08:58AM) Videot
Oooh - ouch. Dark video is a tricky thing to compress well, unfortunately. The darker the image, color saturation decreases and you're left with a relatively small palate of shades of gray to use. I see your problem now.

If you know anyone with Sorensen Squeeze, that may be your savior... it's expensive but it's top-notch compression.

I think most modern HDTVs have a USB port and should play some flavor of HD-encoded video directly from a flash drive. If you make an AVCHD image (like for red laser BluRay-on-DVD), those should play in many BluRay players... and some players also have a USB or SD-Card slot for memory-based playback.

Others around here could probably speak more definitively on that subject than I.

- Mike
Re: Double Layer DVD Disc Question (July 28, 2015 08:59AM) Videot
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login