Re: FCPX: STRANGE AUDIO ECHO EFFECT ON CUSTOMIZING CLIP SPEED

FCPX: STRANGE AUDIO ECHO EFFECT ON CUSTOMIZING CLIP SPEED (August 03, 2015 10:27PM) game-b
I had to speed up an interview clip, customized to 115%. Now I have a disturbing echo effect in the audio. Any way to fix this? Thanks a lot for helping

Re: FCPX: STRANGE AUDIO ECHO EFFECT ON CUSTOMIZING CLIP SPEED (August 04, 2015 03:36AM) ronny courtens
What is the format of the interview clip?

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: FCPX: STRANGE AUDIO ECHO EFFECT ON CUSTOMIZING CLIP SPEED (August 04, 2015 03:44AM) game-b
Hi Ronny,

it is a ProRes422 .mov file, transcoded from mts with 5DtoRGB, sound was on-camera.

Best
L
Re: FCPX: STRANGE AUDIO ECHO EFFECT ON CUSTOMIZING CLIP SPEED (August 04, 2015 04:23AM) ronny courtens
As the clip has been converted to ProRes, the artifacts you hear cannot come from the audio compression. So my guess is that the artifacts come from noise that has been introduced during the recording. Such noise can be practically inaudible when the clip is played at normal speed, but any speed changes above 2 to 5% will enhance the audio artifacts due to resampling.

Unfortunately there is not much you can do unless you can clean up the audio before applying the speed change. Do you have a professional denoising plugin such as iZotope RX Advanced? If not, how long is that clip?

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: FCPX: STRANGE AUDIO ECHO EFFECT ON CUSTOMIZING CLIP SPEED (August 04, 2015 04:38AM) game-b
Thanks for the quick reply Ronny. But I think it is not a problem of noise.It delays the speaking voice, it comes over double now (very low volume)!
Re: FCPX: STRANGE AUDIO ECHO EFFECT ON CUSTOMIZING CLIP SPEED (August 04, 2015 05:17AM) ronny courtens
Re: FCPX: STRANGE AUDIO ECHO EFFECT ON CUSTOMIZING CLIP SPEED (August 04, 2015 08:03AM) ronny courtens
Hi Lucian,

Thank you for sending me the file. I have retimed the interview using a professional retiming plugin. I think it sounds a lot better now. I have sent you the file via e-mail. You can add it under your retimed video clip in FCP X, they should match up perfectly.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: FCPX: STRANGE AUDIO ECHO EFFECT ON CUSTOMIZING CLIP SPEED (August 04, 2015 05:48PM) game-b
Thanks Ronny, that worked perfectly. Looks like from certain percentage on (in this case it was 115%) this disturbing phenomena begins to appear.
I did others speedups before, customized at lower speed (100,4%) like described in an older thread, without these kind of problems.
Cheers
Re: FCPX: STRANGE AUDIO ECHO EFFECT ON CUSTOMIZING CLIP SPEED (August 04, 2015 05:57PM) ronny courtens
Hi Lucian,

Yes, that's correct. Audio retiming usually works without many problems up to 10%. As soon as you go beyond 10%, the resampling may cause audible artifacts depending on the complexity of the audio (background noise, music etc...). In such cases you need specialized plugins or dedicated software that can analyse the audio clip and filter out any unwanted noise before processing the main audio.

Best wishes,

Ronny

Re: FCPX: STRANGE AUDIO ECHO EFFECT ON CUSTOMIZING CLIP SPEED (August 04, 2015 06:00PM) game-b
I have another question about retiming.

I work mainly with transcoded mts files, shot in 24fps progressive (Panasonic Lumix). As I am shooting an environmental-musical film, I sometimes use the GoPro for some strange looking fun shots. These are 30fps as far as I know. I tried to convert them before through the automatic option in the retimer, didn't work. They still do no run smooth. What am I missing?
Re: FCPX: STRANGE AUDIO ECHO EFFECT ON CUSTOMIZING CLIP SPEED (August 04, 2015 06:15PM) ronny courtens
Are you working in a 24fps timeline or in 25 fps?

Retiming GoPro footage can be very quirky because of the high compression. You could try optimizing the clips to ProRes before applying the Automatic Speed in FCP X.

If you want you can send me a small GoPro clip so we can see how you can solve this.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: FCPX: STRANGE AUDIO ECHO EFFECT ON CUSTOMIZING CLIP SPEED (August 04, 2015 06:23PM) game-b
OK, I will send you 2 short GoPro clips which are not running smooth. I have a 24fps timeline/storyline.
In fact I did not transcode them or optimized them before.
Re: FCPX: STRANGE AUDIO ECHO EFFECT ON CUSTOMIZING CLIP SPEED (August 04, 2015 06:24PM) ronny courtens
Great. I am in the studio right now. So I will have a look at them as soon as I get them.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: FCPX: STRANGE AUDIO ECHO EFFECT ON CUSTOMIZING CLIP SPEED (August 04, 2015 06:31PM) game-b
I have sent you 2 short clips which are not running smooth through WeTransfer. Exported as mov file.
Re: FCPX: STRANGE AUDIO ECHO EFFECT ON CUSTOMIZING CLIP SPEED (August 05, 2015 05:55AM) ronny courtens
For anyone who is following this thread: the problem got solved by using the "Automatic Speed" option in the FCP X Retime menu.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: FCPX: STRANGE AUDIO ECHO EFFECT ON CUSTOMIZING CLIP SPEED (August 09, 2015 03:40PM) jrosson
Ronnie – good to know – and thank you for posting the solution.
JR
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login