Re: FINAL CUT X - AUDIO WENT SOUTH

FINAL CUT X - AUDIO WENT SOUTH (September 24, 2015 07:25AM) jrosson
Folks,

We must have inadvertently toggled something somewhere ...

Anyway, in a clip about an hour long in a conference room setting with nine mics -- we edited a short 2 minute snippet from the top. The audio was very low -- so we copy/pasted the audio four times (for five identical tracks), keyframed the audio from three different people speaking, and brough each to the proper level.

That piece worked well -- the copy & paste and keyframing allowed us to level each person suitably -- and oddly -- the ambient in the conference room mics did not multiply and become unbearable -- nice!

BUT --
somehow, we have lost audio in the remainder of the clip. There is no audio waveform now in the viewer -- the inspector shows only 'video' and no 'audio' tab.

In the 2 minute snippet, the project file shows the waveform, and the audio still plays just fine. However in that same piece of video in the viewer, the audio is gone.

We are FC'X' novices, and we have googled, but cannot figure it out.

Thank you,
JR
Re: FINAL CUT X - AUDIO WENT SOUTH (September 25, 2015 03:35AM) VidGreg
Hi Jrosson
Not sure I understand all the ins/outs/whys of what you did, so appreciate more info. Please include what version of FCPX and OS.
First with nine separate audio mics, assuming these are all separate recordings on external recorders?? No one checked audio levels? Or are these from cameras? Did you record audio on cam for syncing?

If you had low audio levels, have you tried to add a "Gain" effect? Easiest way to increase audio recording levels for a clip.
Add the "Gain" effect, then in Info Pane, click the disclosure triangle and increase the gain levels. Shouldn't have to stack audio to increase audio levels. Try adding the Gain effect to a single audio clip.

Combining synced audio recordings you need to be careful about phase in recording so you do not get phase cancellation. Not sure this applies, but not sure how you "…we copy/pasted the audio four times (for five identical tracks)". Do you mean for each of the 9 recordings, you C&P each and stacked them??? Sorry don't get this nor the reason for doing so.

As far as waveforms and audio tab not being available in info pane, but video tab showing up, did you create a multi cam clip or compound clip that combines audio and video together? If not, then you have to highlight the audio clip to see Info pane audio tab and waveforms, but then you won't see the video tab. The only time both the "Video" tab and the "Audio" tab will appear in the same Info Pane is if the clip contains both A&V.
Have you opened the clips in the "Angle Viewer"? The Angle Viewer lets you see active angles.
Screen shot would help.

Just to be clear, when you say "the project file" do you mean the clip in the Browser, the "Project Timeline" or in the "Finder"?

When you talk about the "viewer", do you mean when you are playing in the timeline or playing a clip from the browser?. With only 1 viewer, FCPX will automatically play from either depending where your cursor is when you hit play(spacebar) and display that.

As to audio is now lost in rest of clip… Make sure you haven't totally attenuated the audio in whatever clip the active audio is coming from outside your "keyframed" audio levels.

More details and a screen shot or 2 would help.

Hope this helps, Greg
Re: FINAL CUT X - AUDIO WENT SOUTH (September 27, 2015 01:39AM) Christoph Vonrhein
Re: FINAL CUT X - AUDIO WENT SOUTH (September 28, 2015 03:10AM) jrosson
Greg,
Thanks for your reply -- here goes:
FCP X 10.2.1
OS is 10.10.3.

We're using a Tricaster (we're brand new to it) and all nine audio inputs are recorded on the hard drive as one pro res file. The audio levels vary because it's a board room setting -- and depending on which board member is speaking (some soft, some loud, some close to the mic, some reluctant to get close) we get a wide variety of levels to have to deal with. (If this matters, the Tricaster records in a number of different formats -- we chose Pro Res -- and we're editing on a MBP).

We have not tried the gain effect -- but will do so.

Re: 'Combining synced audio recordings' -- we've just the one pro res file to work with - when we import into X it comes in with one video and two audio tracks. So with the audio way low on one person, and reasonably audible on another -- we have to keyframe to level throughout. So you can imagine with a robust conversation and many participants, we are keyframing like crazy. We 'stacked' tracks to begin with (copied & pasted the audio tracks & stacked one below another) because bringing the volume up all the way to +12db on the original imported file still didn't bring the audio up enough.

We must read more about multicam, compound clips and the angle viewer -- we don't know much about them yet. We simply imported the clip -- see audio and video -- and work with that.

By 'project file' we mean the timeline. The same clip that shows its audio down in that timeline reflects no audio in the browser window. Just a blank darker blue audio pane. We did not attenuate the audio in the clip.

I have attached a screenshot with the clip (called Capture0002) in the browser with no audio -- and the same clip in the project timeline with audio -- and some keyframing.

Thank you,
JR
Re: FINAL CUT X - AUDIO WENT SOUTH (September 28, 2015 04:52AM) VidGreg
Hi JR
OK see you are using a Tricaster, are you doing a live stream?
Have not ever used a Tricaster so can only comment in general.
The Tricaster is a switcher(?), but unless you are doing live, not sure you would need it. If you need live and do a post production version of meetings, you might consider recording separately the cams and audio for the post work. Not sure how this works with a Tricaster.

Looks like audio (9 mics) is summed to a stereo file. If each mic had a separate recording, then easier to set initial recording levels for each mic, then you would only need minor tweaks. Just another approach to think about.

Doesn't look like you have audio recorded internal to cam. Might want to record audio with the cam as back up and for audio/video syncing. Since the selected clip does not have audio, you will not have an audio tab in the inspector pane nor waveforms in the video clip. You need to select the audio clip to see the audio inspector pane.

Please try the "Gain" effect applied to a single audio clip (green clip). This allows you to exceed 12db default setting. I think you will find this faster and easier.

Another tip I will recommend is you use the "Range" tool (R key) to select ranges inside the clip you wish to alter. The "Range" tool will automatically add 2 automation points to each side of selection allowing you to raise or lower volume of selected range. Much faster than having to add 4 individual points for every alteration. You can also create a "range" using the "i" and "o" keys in a selected clip even while playing. I prefer to zoom in and then click and drag a range.

Don't forget watch those meters! Leave yourself some headroom and no clipping.

Happy editing
Hope this helps, Greg
Re: FINAL CUT X - AUDIO WENT SOUTH (October 20, 2015 10:16AM) jrosson
Greg,

Sorry so long away.
Yes, we are using a Tricaster -- but it's for monthly meetings -- so it will take awhile to get used to -- as we only touch it a few days a month. And yes, the idea is to live stream eventually, but for now, we're just using edited segments.

I believe you are right when you say each of the mics can be set to initial levels -- the problem is -- the system is new, and particpants don't always sit close to the mics. Different voice levels, etc. play a big role.

Great idea re: range...

Thanks Greg.
Re: FINAL CUT X - AUDIO WENT SOUTH (October 29, 2015 04:38AM) Videot
Wow - what I want to know is, how are you recording to ProRes? I don't think I have that option on my TriCaster (TC40). You'll grow to love it, BTW - it's an awesome production tool.

- Mike
Re: FINAL CUT X - AUDIO WENT SOUTH (October 29, 2015 04:54AM) Videot
Re: FINAL CUT X - AUDIO WENT SOUTH (November 02, 2015 04:33PM) jrosson
Mike – pardon the late reply - just checking back in and seeing your response.
I will check the model of tri-caster and post back.
If I'm not mistaken – this model of tri-caster also offers the option of ProRes HQ.
The headroom issue would be a great help if that is the solution.
Re: FINAL CUT X - AUDIO WENT SOUTH (November 05, 2015 03:36AM) Videot
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login