Re: Turning a series of cam clips into one clip?

Turning a series of cam clips into one clip? (September 28, 2015 05:44AM) Don
On my latest event shoot using P2 equipped panasonic cameras, one camera broke the 90 min show into several approx 4Gb clips. I have sequenced them in the timeline but want to convert them to a single clip so I can make a multiclip. How? (FCP 7)
Thanks
Re: Turning a series of cam clips into one clip? (September 29, 2015 03:00PM) David
Don, I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to accomplish with your single clip, but generally, multiclips are generated from more than one camera angle, synced up, and (after making the MC), edited between all the cameras angles.

If by "multiclip" you mean one continuous sequence of a linear event, then it sounds like you already have it. Just find the proper In and Out points of each individual clip and slide them together.

In any case, here's the method to make a multiclip (from FCP5 anyway):
After you have chosen the In points of each clip to be used in the MC, select (highlight) each of the clips in the Browser panel.
From the drop-down menu choose Modify>Make Multiclip. It will ask you how your clips are to be synced, choose In Points.
Your new MC will now appear in the Browser. Drag it to the timeline and you're ready to start editing. You can read more on this in Ken's Tutorial.

Hope this helps.
DD
Re: Turning a series of cam clips into one clip? (September 29, 2015 04:50PM) David Harbsmeier
From reading Don's post, it seems that he want to turn th multiple clips from one of the cameras into a single clip so that he can then use the new single clip to make a multiclip with the footage from the other camera.

If that's what he's wanting to do, just line up all the clips from the one camera on the Timeline, then export it as a self-contained movie. Import the resulting file into your project and use that along with the footage from the other camera to create the multiclip.

-DH
Re: Turning a series of cam clips into one clip? (September 30, 2015 03:06AM) Gypaetus
You can even "glue" shorter clips to a single long(er) one by using Quicktime Pro - very simple!
Re: Turning a series of cam clips into one clip? (October 01, 2015 04:25AM) Don
DH. That is what I was trying to do. For some reason my second camera broke the 1.5 hour show into several less than 4 Gb clips.

I did do as you suggested but the export took several hours. Probably due to the codec chosen. Pro Res 422.

I ended up cutting without the benefit of Multiclip. Actually quicker than all the work arounds. Next time we will be more careful with the cam setups.

Thanks for all the input. Also, next time I will remember to "follow" the conversation so I will be able to benefit and respond more quickly.
Cheers
all.
Re: Turning a series of cam clips into one clip? (October 05, 2015 03:21AM) Videot
I'm guessing those 4GB clips were created because of the way that camera's storage media was formatted. Some formats (like FAT32) have filesize limitations.

- Mike
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login