Re: new equipment, jaggies on output

new equipment, jaggies on output (October 25, 2015 03:58PM) pnutsnz
Hi everyone, and good to be back!. Just been reading some of the posts recently, esp the one labelled "El Capitan". Gee, 50% of L.A. is Spanish?. Interesting...

Anyway, at present I have updated my equipment to the following......

* 27" iMac 5k
* Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K I/O
• Panasonic 4K TV (50" (for display output from blackbagic HDMI)).

With everything wired up okay, I get a low res "jaggies" output at the TV while playing video from the timeline of FCPX. This is, of course, with the video going through the Blackmagic BOB, then to the TV. But... when I feed the output to the TV direct (via a Minidisplay to HDMI cable) I still get the same results. When the video is stopped, the high res, "Anti-Alias" comes back (smooth edges & sharp) . Yet the TV is about a year old, and it replaced a sony HD about 5 years old. I cannot remember the exact quality on the SONY, but sure it was a lot better than what I am getting now.

Maybe a setting out of whack?, although cannot think what.

Thanks for any help, might have to try another set just to eliminate that factor.

Cheers!,

Pete
Re: new equipment, jaggies on output (October 25, 2015 05:16PM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Peter,

Are you working with "proxy media" by any chance?

--ken
Re: new equipment, jaggies on output (October 25, 2015 07:30PM) pnutsnz
Hi there Ken,

Well one would certainly think that :), but the problem exists even with previewing the internal effects. Even placing them on the timeline and running them in real time. For example... 'Far Far Away Title effect' (star wars). And also a motion text effect from one of the titles included with FCP. So am not too sure.

Just curious Ken, what are the general editors using for a video out display? - be great to find out. I know it is recommended to use Broadcast monitors properly setup, wonder if TV's are the norm?

The footage I am using at the moment was filmed a while ago, and placed into a FCPX archive (with the 'silver lock icon'. And I brought that in to the fray for editing recent;y. I am starting to think there might be something wrong there - as there is a bit of pixilation & color shifting. perhaps that does not point to the original footage, although it seems to be large enough.
I might have to investigate that further Ken..

Thanks for now,

Pete
Re: new equipment, jaggies on output (October 26, 2015 05:53AM) ericcosh
Hi Pete.
I have the 27" iMac and I used to use the Matrox Mini 2 for output through Thunderbolt to my Samsun 32" HDTV. As you might know Pete, the Matrox was supposed to turn your regular HDTV into a production monitor by using the Matrox Mini. Well, it did, kind of, but since I upgraded to El Capitan, the Matrox doesn't work anymore because Matrox has decided not to support any more upgrades to Apple. Wonderful. Now my $1000 piece of equipment is a paper weight. Way to go Matrox AGAIN.
What I've done Pete is purchase the Belkin 2M Mini Display Port to HDTV cable. It's just one cable (Thunderbolt on one end and HDMI on the other. It works great for me and in many ways looks better than using my old Matrox.

Hope this helps.

warmly,
eric
Re: new equipment, jaggies on output (October 26, 2015 10:31PM) pnutsnz
Thanks Eric & Ronny, interesting. Eric, you had the Matrox mini.... well I had the Matrox MXO LE while using my laptop, but Matrox stopped supporting the mac as you know, so thought I would sell that and buy the Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4k. I remember back when I had the RTMac card, same deal. Starting to see a pattern here!.
I need the Ultrastudio for inputing a mass of video from different sources, so believe I will get the use out of that.
I know what you mean Eric, I too had a 1200.00 paper weight (still got it as I could not bring myself to throw it out). Besides it is obsolete now as that RTMac went on my G4. Hence the upgrade to the MXO box. Now have Blackmagic. I am really impressed with what Blackmagic are doing, so hopefully that will be a step in the right direction.
I am on the prowl for a ATEM Production switcher for my Video DJ'ing, that is another story.....
Eric, would my purchasing the Belkin mini display to HD tv box be redundant as I have the Blackmagic Ultrastudio?
Will try anything at this stage....
Ronny, I did change the view settings to better quality, Not too sure, but can see 'scan' lines in the motion.
One thing is sure, that internal viewer in FCP is perfect, so it is just the output display.
Another point I might have to make is I only have 8GB RAM on this machine, that won't be helping I guess.
Thanks again
Pete
Re: new equipment, jaggies on output (October 26, 2015 07:57AM) ronny courtens
Hi Pete,

What happens when you set your Viewer to "Better Quality" instead of "Better Performance"?

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: new equipment, jaggies on output (October 26, 2015 10:32PM) pnutsnz
Thanks Eric & Ronny, interesting. Eric, you had the Matrox mini.... well I had the Matrox MXO LE while using my laptop, but Matrox stopped supporting the mac as you know, so thought I would sell that and buy the Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4k. I remember back when I had the RTMac card, same deal. Starting to see a pattern here!.
I need the Ultrastudio for inputing a mass of video from different sources, so believe I will get the use out of that.
I know what you mean Eric, I too had a 1200.00 paper weight (still got it as I could not bring myself to throw it out). Besides it is obsolete now as that RTMac went on my G4. Hence the upgrade to the MXO box. Now have Blackmagic. I am really impressed with what Blackmagic are doing, so hopefully that will be a step in the right direction.
I am on the prowl for a ATEM Production switcher for my Video DJ'ing, that is another story.....
Eric, would my purchasing the Belkin mini display to HD tv box be redundant as I have the Blackmagic Ultrastudio?
Will try anything at this stage....
Ronny, I did change the view settings to better quality, Not too sure, but can see 'scan' lines in the motion.
One thing is sure, that internal viewer in FCP is perfect, so it is just the output display.
Another point I might have to make is I only have 8GB RAM on this machine, that won't be helping I guess.
Thanks again
Pete
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login