Re: "Jumpy" 24p

"Jumpy" 24p (October 27, 2015 03:40AM) Kent
I am struggling with a 13 second interior 180 degree pan shot that has numerous large windows. Of course the dynamic range is beyond the capabilities of the camera. There are no people in the shot. The project was shot Shutter Priority with a 180 degree shutter, 24p. I believe that my frame rate is to slow which results in everything having a "jumpy" appearance. Color correcting made the video "acceptable". Lighting the interior to better match the exterior is beyond the budget of this project.

I went back shot HDR stills stitched into a panorama. The result is great dynamic range but the pan results are still "jumpy". If I put the HDR/Pano on a 60p timeline the "jumpy" is gone.

This is one short distracting scene in a 24p project. Any remedy for either the video or the still?

Thank you
Kent
Re: "Jumpy" 24p (October 27, 2015 03:57AM) ronny courtens
Hi Kent,

If you work with FCP X: just select the jumpy clip, press the Retime Options button (next to the Effects button) and choose Automatic Speed. This will eliminate any jumpiness due to frame rate mismatches.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: "Jumpy" 24p (October 28, 2015 01:19AM) Kent
Thanks Ronny,

I am working in FCPX. I have retimed the clip and that resulted in some improvement. I have concluded that a Ken Burns HDR/Pano may give the best results. I say this because of the increased dynamic range that HDR offers.

HDR/Panoramic files are huge and after processing in LightRoom they result in .dng files that can exceed 100 MB. Do you have a recommendation as to what file parameters FCPX prefers? i.e. file size and type.

Again thanks,

Kent
Re: "Jumpy" 24p (October 28, 2015 02:01AM) ronny courtens
FCP X can handle any file size as long as your computer can handle it. DNG image sequences can be converted to ProRes movies prior to bringing them into FCP X. You can do this in Compressor.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: "Jumpy" 24p (October 28, 2015 07:36AM) Kent
Hi Ronny,

HDR/Pano.dng files are grayed out in Compressor's import window.

Thanks

Kent
Re: "Jumpy" 24p (October 28, 2015 07:55PM) ronny courtens
Re: "Jumpy" 24p (October 29, 2015 02:38PM) Kent
Ronny,

I have sent response via email;

THANKS

Kent
Re: "Jumpy" 24p (November 08, 2015 04:16AM) ronny courtens
Sorry for the late reply. Actually I was mistakingly thinking that you were working with HDR panoramic video footage. The file you have sent me is a regular .dng still. You can use this in FCP X, but it would be better to convert it to TIFF in LR prior to bringing it into FCP X.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: "Jumpy" 24p (November 10, 2015 03:46AM) Kent
Ronny;
Thanks for the help. Sorry for the mix up. I went back a re-read my post it is very misleading.

All The Best

Kent
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login