Re: Macbook Pro advice

Macbook Pro advice (November 04, 2015 03:24AM) benvideo
Hi Ken et al,

It's been a long time since I was here last. Haven't been doing a lot of editing for the last two or three years. I've been writing my memoirs.

Anyhow, I'm needing a new (used) laptop, mainly for writing but also to do some FCP work. What's the story on mac of all trades? Are they reliable?

Thanks,

Ben Bryant NYC
Re: Macbook Pro advice (November 05, 2015 02:53AM) Craig Seeman
Re: Macbook Pro advice (November 05, 2015 05:56AM) benvideo
Thanks Craig.

Ben Bryant NYC
Re: Macbook Pro advice (November 05, 2015 06:13AM) Ken Stone Admin
Re: Macbook Pro advice (November 05, 2015 06:56AM) benvideo
I read the article and you are right, Ken. However I'll be doing my editing in my office or in my dining room rather than on a plane and I like as much screen real estate as possible. Also, I'm still cutting with FCP 5.1.4 so I don't want to have the latest OS. Of course I can always clone the new Mac drive to an external then clone my current OS 10.6.8 drive to the new machine on the principal of "if it works don't fix it". The OS and the FCP version work fine togeter it's just the aging hardware that's problematic.

Thanx,

Ben Bryant NYC
Re: Macbook Pro advice (November 05, 2015 07:04AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Ben,

I understand completely. While I have a dedicated iMac for FCP X, my main Mac was an 8 year old MacPro with dual monitors. The reason that I stayed with the old Mc so long was the fact that it was running 10.6.8 which had Rosetta which I needed to run old apps. 10.6.8 was a great OS and if the machine had not headed South on me three weeks ago, I would still be on it. After 8 years of being on full time, it did not owe me anything. It was a great Mac.

Now I do everything from my iMac.

--ken
Re: Macbook Pro advice (November 05, 2015 07:24AM) benvideo
Back in the G4/G5 days I had a beachball iMac that I bought in 2001. I used if for everything but editing. It died in 2012 after 11 years of flawless service. One day it just wouldn't start. RIP!

Ben Bryant NYC
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login