Re: El Capitan 10 bit color

El Capitan 10 bit color (December 14, 2015 04:57AM) Kent
Re: El Capitan 10 bit color (December 14, 2015 05:41AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Kent,

Really good news(I had no idea). Thanks for posting this.

--ken
Re: El Capitan 10 bit color (December 14, 2015 08:28PM) Joe Redifer
Doesn't this only work on the newest iMacs? I don't think you can improve the physical quality of an existing monitor with a mere software update.

Re: El Capitan 10 bit color (December 14, 2015 11:24PM) philsfilm
Probably just the retina display ones. Part of Apple's strategy to keep us buying their newest toys.

Joe, you're saying that you can't teach an old dog new tricks.
Re: El Capitan 10 bit color (December 15, 2015 05:40PM) Joe Redifer
Still waiting for the software update that makes my Power PC Performa into a 64-bit Intel monster.

Re: El Capitan 10 bit color (December 19, 2015 07:02AM) One Shape Shifter
Maybe I'm not following this good news. I read the( blog.planet5d.com) talking about the upgrade and compared it to my MacPro with ATI Radeon HD5770. Resolution 1920 x 1200 @60 Hz
Pixel Depth 32-Bit Color
Is this saying the software upgraded my monitor to a deeper pixel depth?
Re: El Capitan 10 bit color (December 20, 2015 06:27PM) Joe Redifer
I'm on Yosemite and it tells me mine is 32-bit color as well.

Congats El Capitan users! You have upgraded to Yosemite capabilities! :)
Re: El Capitan 10 bit color (December 20, 2015 11:44PM) philsfilm
All this pixel depth hyperbole about El Capitan but the big question which I have yet to see addressed is does it screw up
FCP Studio programs like FCP 7, DVDSP4, etc. I've upgraded to FCP X but I still have old projects in FCP 7 that need occasional revision and, yes, I know about "7 to X for FCP". I have it and it works for the most part but it's not cost-effective to rebuild an entire timeline with effects just to make a few simple changes. Therefore, I need the availability of trusty FCP 7 and
DVDSP4.
Does anyone have an answer to this?

Thanks,
Phil
Re: El Capitan 10 bit color (December 26, 2015 08:29AM) ronny courtens
Hi Phil,

Both still "work" with El Capitan, although I think this will be the final OS that will support the old FCP and DVDSP. The real problem is that certain effects and third-party plugins you use with FCP7 probably won't work anymore because they haven't been updated anymore or they have been EOL'ed.

So I would not run these legacy apps onto the latest operating systems. Instead you could add a separate boot drive to your computer (if it's a classic MacPro) and install the latest versions of MacOS and the new ProApps on this drive for your current work. If you need to open a legacy project again, you can boot into your existing boot drive and everything will work. There will come a time when you won't need any of your old FCP projects anymore, then you can safely remove the old boot drive.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: El Capitan 10 bit color (December 26, 2015 09:29AM) philsfilm
Hi Ronny,

Yes, I did that last year: cloned my main Yosemite HD onto a separate external boot drive with all legacy projects as a safety. But so far, I've been lucky. I haven't needed it. I am assuming that there has been no conflict with El Capitan and FCP X or Motion.
My question to you is, in the future, should I need to make DVDs, other than basic ones though FCP X's SHARE, what other program is there? Will I need to buy Toast? It's a shame because DVDSP4 was great for menued DVDs.

Thanks,
Phil
Re: El Capitan 10 bit color (December 26, 2015 09:48AM) ronny courtens
Phil,

If you still need DVD's in the future there is no reason why you wouldn't be able to use DVDSP anymore. Just keep it on a boot drive with an older OS and you will be able to burn DVD's with DVDSP as long as you wish.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login