Re: El Capitan & FCP X

El Capitan & FCP X (February 17, 2016 05:31AM) jrosson
Folks,
We've googled a bit and see some reasons to maybe wait on an upgrade to El Capitan?
Anybody using yet with FCP X -- issues? Or are the issues squared away?
Thank you,
JR
Re: El Capitan & FCP X (February 19, 2016 04:21AM) ronny courtens
Hi JR,

Many of us have been working with FCP X and EC for some time now, without any issues. Unless you are also using Premiere CC, which still has not been updated to EC yet, you will be problem-free.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: El Capitan & FCP X (February 19, 2016 04:35PM) Joe Redifer
Ive yet to see a reason to install El Capitan. Everything works great in whatever the previous one is... Yosemite?
Re: El Capitan & FCP X (February 20, 2016 01:18AM) philsfilm
Although I work primarily in FCP X in Yosemite, I still do some revisions of previous jobs cut in FCP 7. I tried the "7 to X" program and the conversion process is mediocre at best. It doesn't get titles and many effects so you have to re-build which is not worth the effort. Plus, I still use DVD SP4 constantly. I have Toast 14 but that's not as good either. So, my age-old question is will these two rock-solid legacy programs plus Compressor 3.5.3 still work in El Capitan?

Thanks,
Phil

P.S.
BTW, I have cloned my Yosemite HD to a bootable external drive so I can use these programs should they fail to run on El Capitan but I'd rather have everything run off my main HD. I've done some tests and sometimes the external bootable drive fails to open.
Re: El Capitan & FCP X (February 20, 2016 01:34AM) ronny courtens
Hi Phil,

Although these apps will run in EC, I think it makes no sense to use them with a new OS or even with a new computer because they cannot take advantage from any of this. It is perfectly normal that 7toX does not translate titles or effects, they are totally different in FCP X. So you might as well keep a second hand Mac on an older OS If you want to keep using these applications. You don't even need a big machine since none of these apps can use more than 4GB or RAM.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: El Capitan & FCP X (February 20, 2016 05:41PM) Joe Redifer
I will say this and I don't know what it's related to but maybe it's worth mentioning: In FCP7 I used to get "OUT OF MEMORY" errors all the time. I haven't gotten that once since using FCP7 on Yosemite. No idea why. FCPX doesn't even use 4GB of RAM. I have 64GB of RAM in my machine and FCPX usually maxes out at around 3GB and that's with multiple libraries open and being used. Older versions of the app used more RAM, curiously.

Re: El Capitan & FCP X (February 27, 2016 02:50AM) MitchellRose
Re: El Capitan & FCP X (March 05, 2016 03:41AM) Christoph Vonrhein
Re: El Capitan & FCP X (February 29, 2016 11:43AM) jrosson
Gentlemen - thank you for your help.
I think it's time to update to El Capitan.
JR
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login