AVCHD Format with FCP 6.0.6

AVCHD Format with FCP 6.0.6 (February 17, 2016 09:11AM) Annie
Hi All!
I havent been on the site for a while! Glad to see some of the originals are still here! Please Dont Laugh... Im still editing in FCP 6.0.6 and Mac OS 10.6.8 I just always liked the way things worked and didnt want to change! I have to purchase a new camera that utilizes an SD Card and not tape (yes I still use tape). Im a little concerned with the new AVCHD format. Will it be easy for me to import the AVCHD footage in FCP 6? Thank you for any feedback!
Annie
Re: AVCHD Format with FCP 6.0.6 (February 18, 2016 03:31PM) David Harbsmeier
I cannot recall if FCP 6 had a Log & Transfer function. If it does, your camera may be compatible, but you'll probably have to download a utility from the camera manufacturer to make it work.

If it doesn't, you'll need to convert the AVCHD files to an editable format that works natively in FCP prior to importing. You can use Compressor or QuickTime Pro to do the conversion.

Either way, expect much larger files sizes after transfer/conversion.

-DH
Re: AVCHD Format with FCP 6.0.6 (February 19, 2016 01:27AM) XGTV
FCP6-7 cant handle AVCHD at all. Use Clipwrap to convert AVCHD to Prores prior to import.
Re: AVCHD Format with FCP 6.0.6 (February 20, 2016 01:07AM) philsfilm
Interesting.

Can FCP X handle AVCHD without conversion? I may have a project coming up in that.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login