Re: FCP 7 AND OPERATING SYSTEM?

FCP 7 AND OPERATING SYSTEM? (February 28, 2016 10:41PM) Craig Golding
Hi Folks got a question that has probably been answered but couldn't find it. I am using FCP 7 on a 2008 mac pro , early 2008, 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad core intel Xeon with OS X 10.8.5… I am starting to have problems with this operating system and need to up grade to use certain applications . what I am wondering is there a certain OS X that FCP7 will no longer work with?????
Cheers
Craig
Re: FCP 7 AND OPERATING SYSTEM? (February 29, 2016 01:12AM) VidGreg
Re: FCP 7 AND OPERATING SYSTEM? (February 29, 2016 07:42AM) philsfilm
Greg,

Do you know if DVDSP4 will run on El Capitan?

Thanks,
Phil
Re: FCP 7 AND OPERATING SYSTEM? (February 29, 2016 10:15AM) VidGreg
Re: FCP 7 AND OPERATING SYSTEM? (February 29, 2016 10:52AM) philsfilm
Hi Greg,

Yeah, Ronny did. I was just specifically concerned with DVDSP4 because I still use it for creating Menued DVDs. Like you, I mostly edit in FCP X now and output Master Files although the FCP 7 film that I've been revising lately has too many effects for "7 to X" to handle. I have Toast as well but find that DVDSP4 suits me needs best and is rock solid.

I have indeed cloned my main Yosemite HD onto to a separate drive that I can boot up from if I needed to.
However, I have one question concerning that: if I boot up my iMac from that external drive, should I access and work with the FCP 7 projects from the FCP document files on that Yosemite drive or from the current El Capitan-updated main drive?

Thanks,
Phil
Re: FCP 7 AND OPERATING SYSTEM? (March 01, 2016 05:51PM) Craig Golding
Thanks a lot for your help Greg
cheers
Craig
Re: FCP 7 AND OPERATING SYSTEM? (March 01, 2016 11:10PM) philsfilm
BTW, I see that iDVD is no longer available from the Apple store. Guess that's part of Apple's plan to abandon DVDs.
Re: FCP 7 AND OPERATING SYSTEM? (March 02, 2016 12:48AM) VidGreg
Re: FCP 7 AND OPERATING SYSTEM? (March 02, 2016 04:02AM) philsfilm
So, are you saying that if I update to El Capitan, I won't be able to use to use Disk Utility to burn DVDs and Blu-rays from Disk Images anymore?
That's outrageous!

Just downloaded iDVD. Thanks so much! So that works OK in El Capitan?

Re: FCP 7 AND OPERATING SYSTEM? (March 03, 2016 02:40AM) philsfilm
Greg,

I downloaded iDVD 7.1.2 but it would not install on my 27" iMac (Yosemite). See attachment #1.

Also, according to Larry Jordan, El Capitan's Disk Utility does burn DVDs. See attachment #2.

-Phil
Re: FCP 7 AND OPERATING SYSTEM? (March 05, 2016 03:15AM) VidGreg
Hi Phil
The 7.1.2 download is for the update. You need to first install iDVD from the iLife 11 disks or from a previous computer.

Not sure what Larry J is talking about, can you post the website? I think this is Yosemite DU, not El Capitan??

Disk Utility has changed totally from Yosemite to El Capitan. You can look up many reviews of it.
Apple removed lots of features.
No more RAID creation for example.
Burn tab gone.
No more drag and drop of Disk Image files.
Totally new graphics.
All of the stuff they took the GUI away for, is available in the Finder itself, via Terminal, or you can set up Automator Workflows.There are folks doing code hacks to make old DU work in EC. A search should point you to instructions.

OK, starting to get off topic.
Best of Luck, Happy Editing, Greg
Re: FCP 7 AND OPERATING SYSTEM? (March 05, 2016 05:36AM) philsfilm
Hi Greg,

I went back to the earliest iDVD download from the page you sent me and nothing would install. I do not have access to any iDVD disks. But I am OK with Toast 14 and Compressor 3.5.3 and will most likely purchase Compressor 4.2 if 3.5.3 breaks down after the upgrade to El Capitan. The page that I posted above is what Larry sent me from his EC OS. Attached is the Disk Burning page from the Yosemite 10.10.5 OS on my iMac. If what you say is true about DU in El Capitan, how would I go about accessing those Disk Burning features in Finder? What I would most likely do is use the DU in my cloned Yosemite external boot drive.

Thanks for your input,
Phil
Re: FCP 7 AND OPERATING SYSTEM? (March 05, 2016 06:28AM) philsfilm
Re: FCP 7 AND OPERATING SYSTEM? (March 09, 2016 12:32AM) philsfilm
Greg,

Still on Yosemite, but as a test, I tried using the Finder to burn a DVD from a Disk Image. All I got was a copy of the Disk Image on the DVD, not a playable DVD.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login