Re: DVDSP/COMPRESSOR AC3 FILE ISSUE

DVDSP/COMPRESSOR AC3 FILE ISSUE (March 16, 2016 08:14AM) Richcameraman
Hi Guys

New on this site but was hoping to find an answer to my problem,

For years I’ve churned out DVDs for clients without a problem . I'm using an old copy of DVDSP i somehow managed to install on my more recent Macs. It all works fine.

However I was asked to Author a DVD for a friend recently of a film he’s made in the States.
I’m in the UK as is the director(my friend).
He wanted a NTSC master to go for Duplication .

Easy task I thought …
I’ve done the usual encode in Compressor using the presets MPEG 2 and DOLBY DIGITAL AC3 and then use DVD studio on an the mac to author the DVD.
All seemed fine, this disk works fine and seemed to play ok when I put it in my player.

However he has come back to me with 2 problems firstly there appears there are 2 audio dropouts on the master disk which are not on the original movie file.
They seem to occur right after a loud noise, for example one occurs right after a big truck crash .

The other comment from him is there is no bass on the audio .
He is viewing the DVD on a PC .

When he brought it back we played it on my system in the lounge and there is definatlely bass on the disk and it sounds fine, and there appears to be a 'lesser' very minor if any drop out after the crash or at the other point there is drop out on a laptop..
Play it on a computer and the audio is tinny , and has the dropouts, a sound friend of mine suggested its not picking up the bass channel ? ?

I figured I would try and re-encode the audio .My client suggested most people would watch the DVD on a computer so it would be better to have the sound working better there than on a DVD player.

MY sound friend suggested I changed the channel configuration to Stereo L/R it might send all the audio to these channels rather than splitting out the bass.
SO Ive duly exported a new AC3 file from compressor ..
This only thing I’ve changed on the Dolby Preset in compressor is the channel config from AUTO to Stereo L/R
However when I import this new file into DVDSP its silent.
The original file was 340 mb and the new file 150 mb but its just silent.
Can anyone help me with this , am I doing the right thing and how come the new file is silent in DVDSP ?
Re: DVDSP/COMPRESSOR AC3 FILE ISSUE (March 16, 2016 04:12PM) Joe Redifer
Re: DVDSP/COMPRESSOR AC3 FILE ISSUE (March 16, 2016 08:39PM) Richcameraman
Hi Joe
hahaha ok ... I'll say that ;)

but thanks for those setting will give it a try .. =)
Re: DVDSP/COMPRESSOR AC3 FILE ISSUE (March 17, 2016 06:55PM) Joe Redifer
Good question and one I neglected to cover. Burning in DVD Studio Pro will result in a disc that is compatible with fewer players than exporting a VIDEO_TS folder and burning at the slowest available speed in Toast.
Re: DVDSP/COMPRESSOR AC3 FILE ISSUE (March 17, 2016 09:41PM) Alexander
Joe Redifer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good question and one I neglected to cover.
> Burning in DVD Studio Pro will result in a disc
> that is compatible with fewer players than
> exporting a VIDEO_TS folder and burning at the
> slowest available speed in Toast.

Not quite,
Burn to HD from DVDSP, and then take that data file to "Toast" and burn in UDF format

Cheers
Alexander
Re: DVDSP/COMPRESSOR AC3 FILE ISSUE (March 21, 2016 11:22AM) Joe Redifer
Re: DVDSP/COMPRESSOR AC3 FILE ISSUE (March 17, 2016 10:14PM) Richcameraman
The master was just a data file iso from DVD Studio , that I then send to the duplicator

Rich
Re: DVDSP/COMPRESSOR AC3 FILE ISSUE (March 17, 2016 10:20PM) Alexander
Re: DVDSP/COMPRESSOR AC3 FILE ISSUE (March 17, 2016 10:36PM) Richcameraman
The master was just a data file iso from DVD Studio , that I then send to the duplicator.

Also tried those settings and when Ive imported the file into DVDSP its still silent :/
Def audio on master before conversion

Rich
Re: DVDSP/COMPRESSOR AC3 FILE ISSUE (March 17, 2016 10:27AM) Alexander
Wait, how did you make the "master" ?

Cheers
Alexander
Re: DVDSP/COMPRESSOR AC3 FILE ISSUE (March 19, 2016 11:02AM) Richcameraman
Sorry Alexander , I meant i exported a IMG from DVDSP as I'm on a mac then converted to ISO .

This has always worked for duplicators before. or they as for a DDP if its a dual layer.

The problem I have is that still the AC3 file I'm loading into DVD SP from compressor is silent.
It still should work in Simulate right ?
Rich
Re: DVDSP/COMPRESSOR AC3 FILE ISSUE (March 19, 2016 10:26PM) Alexander
Hey Richcameraman,
Duplication is different from Replication. Which are you doing?
With Replication a glass master is made and to be safe depending on the length of the movie you need UDF format.

Cheers
Alexander
Re: DVDSP/COMPRESSOR AC3 FILE ISSUE (March 20, 2016 01:10AM) Richcameraman
Im supplying the master disk to the duplicator .
Re: DVDSP/COMPRESSOR AC3 FILE ISSUE (March 20, 2016 02:41AM) Richcameraman
As an update to this, I have started to look back into the master .mov file I was converting from , I thought if I looked at the waveform in FCPX it might offer some answers.
I found the master file has 10 layers of audio, TOTAL L, TOTAL R, 3 & 4 unnamed, then L, R, CENTRE, LFE SCREEN, SURROUND L and SURROUND R

When I played the file the audio levels were super high particularly at the points where the crashes and pound noises were and the dropouts.

I've shut down all audio except TOTAL L/R did an AC£ export from FCP X and it seems to have worked, Ive got audio back on the file in DVDSP and it has no dropouts!

Hopefully the audio overload was the cause of the issue.
Thought I'd post this in case it helps anyone!!!
Thanks to everyone who's helped me with this!!!
Re: DVDSP/COMPRESSOR AC3 FILE ISSUE (March 20, 2016 12:48PM) Alexander
So you are duplicating not replicating?

Cheers
Alexander
Re: DVDSP/COMPRESSOR AC3 FILE ISSUE (March 21, 2016 08:55AM) Richcameraman
yeah just creating a master disk/image to send to duplicator for production.
Re: DVDSP/COMPRESSOR AC3 FILE ISSUE (March 21, 2016 11:29AM) Alexander
Richcameraman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> yeah just creating a master disk/image to send to
> duplicator for production.

So for Replication your master would have been rejected, for Duplication what you made is what you get, including errors.

Cheers
Alexander
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login