legacy macbooks and FCP7 / FCPX compatibility

legacy macbooks and FCP7 / FCPX compatibility (August 09, 2016 09:43AM) basilt
hello !

I take the courage to ask your opinions/ experiences (if any) working
with old macbook pro 2006, and macbook MacBook 2006 13.3" devices
with intel core 2 duo processors, 64bit EFI.

I have heard that FCPS and FCPX does not operate on such machines due to
graphics card incomaptibilities and what system would you advise to use (mac laptops)
if possible please.

I am not sure if i buy one of these as an upgrade to my old PPC G5 2ghz DC, will
see any improvement or at least work decently with 4gb ram.

Basil

Re: legacy macbooks and FCP7 / FCPX compatibility (August 10, 2016 05:01AM) VidGreg
Re: legacy macbooks and FCP7 / FCPX compatibility2 (August 10, 2016 07:13AM) basilt
hello Greg !

Thanks a lot for your reply back to me and the article links (i will look at them now)

I understand the problems with the mac i mentioned and i will try following your advice on getting a 2009
device if i can.

Insofar i was editing 1080i (miniDV tapes) from sony Ae1, but i gave up i dare to say the tape world, for
dslrs and shoot from a range of cameras i find (i usually rent second bodies etc). usually crop sensors\
like canons. Now with the full HD 25p and Magic Lantern i shoot video and edit in FCP.

On my G5, 10GB ram, i have big struggle processing even prores as is very slow when i have to
output even showreels for customers in Ytube, plugins are old and take lot of processing power etc.

I want to be able to do some 2K processing one day, and i think with the 2009 macs i will be possibly ok.

I feel its time to sell my old G5 for a more updated laptop and keep moving... but be able to work with fcp
or at least premiere and be able to process h264 natively as premiere does to save some time with
transcoding in FCP.

Re: legacy macbooks and FCP7 / FCPX compatibility (August 12, 2016 02:22AM) Craig Seeman
Sometimes I think the best low budget solution is to be a current MacMini (Late 2014) refurbished and add some more RAM. I've seen them for about $419. I was lucky enough to pick a new one up for $349 last year when a local computer store which was an authorized Mac dealer as well, had a $100 discount on any computer including Macs. Of course if you could get a 2009 or 2010 MacPro and upgrade the GPU that would be good but keep in mind buying things for it is going to get more expensive over time actually.
Re: legacy macbooks and FCP7 / FCPX compatibility (August 12, 2016 07:22AM) basilt
Thanks for the advice Craig. I am trying to get a used macbook pro or 2009 and above mac pro. Alternatively, a pc with equal strengths maybe one Zbook by HP
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login