Re: Automatic dnl and install of Sierra

Automatic dnl and install of Sierra (October 03, 2016 06:49AM) Ken Stone Admin
Re: Automatic dnl and install of Sierra (October 03, 2016 10:11AM) philsfilm
Is this true?

If so, it's fascistic.
Re: Automatic dnl and install of Sierra (October 03, 2016 10:51AM) Ken Stone Admin
Yes it's true. You can turn off this feature. Go into System Prefs > App Store and turn it off.

--ken
Re: Automatic dnl and install of Sierra (October 03, 2016 10:59AM) philsfilm
Hi Ken,

Is this what you mean and the correct setting to prevent automatic download and installation?
See pic.

-Phil
Re: Automatic dnl and install of Sierra (October 03, 2016 11:07AM) Ken Stone Admin
Yes, and uncheck 'Download newly available updates in the background' as well.

Actually I uncheck 'Automatically check for updates'. I check for updates manually. Much safer this way.

--ken
Re: Automatic dnl and install of Sierra (October 03, 2016 11:18AM) philsfilm
I just checked with Apple. The guy said that what I did was correct (see above). He said that any updates that I would be notified about would relate to my current OS (El Capitan).
Re: Automatic dnl and install of Sierra (October 03, 2016 11:32AM) Ken Stone Admin
That works, but typically when a brand new Mac OS comes out, often there is an update that fixes bugs. I like to wait.

Just saying.

--Ken
Re: Automatic dnl and install of Sierra (October 03, 2016 11:49AM) philsfilm
I wait at least two months before upgrading my OS. I'm mainly concerned with how well my video apps work. All the ancillary stuff that comes with the OS is secondary to me. Right now, everything works fine.

BTW, Ken, any reports on problems with legacy apps like DVD SP4 and FCP 7 vis-a-vis Sierra?

-Phil
Re: Automatic dnl and install of Sierra (October 03, 2016 12:27PM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Phil,

Don't know, but would like to. Just one of the reasons that I like to wait on updating. After all you can't go back.

--ken
Re: Automatic dnl and install of Sierra (October 07, 2016 08:28PM) Joe Redifer
I checked and apparently I had this already disabled. I don't think that I ever had it enabled because I don't remember disabling it. Maybe when the App Store was new I checked the prefs pane options and just said "Ha ha no I don't think so" and unticked most of the boxes. I don't know why Apple would be so eager to get everyone onto Sierra. There's really nothing impressive or really even very new about the OS.
Re: Automatic dnl and install of Sierra (October 11, 2016 12:31AM) philsfilm
Re: Automatic dnl and install of Sierra (October 11, 2016 04:47AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Phil,

Really good info. Thanks for posting it.

--ken
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login