formatting new drive

formatting new drive (December 18, 2016 11:22AM) David
Just replaced a 10 year old hard drive with an SSD, but can't remember if it should be formatted "extended" or "extended and journaled." Please advise.
FCP5
OS Tiger
Re: formatting new drive (December 18, 2016 12:19PM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi David,

If the drive is going to be used as a boot drive (Mac OS), then you want Extended and 'Journaling' turned on.

If it's a media drive, Extended and Journaling off.

--ken
Re: formatting new drive (December 19, 2016 08:32AM) David
I formatted it with journaling on, so I'll just leave it that way. Won't be in business much longer anyway, as, like I said - FCP5 on a g5 tower, shooting in SD, 15 year old camera... It's been a good ride, though.
DD
Re: formatting new drive (December 18, 2016 05:37PM) Joe Redifer
Curious, what does Journaling do? One of my media drives is Extended and another one Extended (Journaled). Both are the exact same make, model and size drive and I've never noticed any difference in performance between either.
Re: formatting new drive (December 19, 2016 04:52AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Joe,

From Apple

"Journaling is a feature that helps protect the file system against power outages or hardware component failures, reducing the need for directory repairs. A power outage or system failure interrupts read and write processes, which can cause discrepancies between the file system directory and the actual location and structure of stored files. "

It keeps temporary track of what is going on, so if there is an interruption, like a power failure on re boot it knows where it was and what it was doing.

It actually works. Had a power failure here once and after restart I was right back where I was before the failure.

--ken
Re: formatting new drive (December 19, 2016 06:26AM) philsfilm
Hi Ken,

All of my drives (boot & external media) say "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)".

I assume that means, based on what you say, I'm covered.

-Phil
Re: formatting new drive (December 19, 2016 07:53AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Phil,

While it's not necessary to have Journaling for media drives I can't see where it would be a problem if it is turned on.

--ken
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login