NO MOTION, NOW WHAT?

NO MOTION, NOW WHAT? (February 07, 2017 04:24PM) Margo
I finally purchased an iMac, version 10.9.5. While I can still use FCP7, Motion is no longer available. I don't want to transition to FCPX for a variety of reasons. I'm wondering if any of you are using another graphics program that you can recommend that works well with FCP7.

Thank you,

Margo
Re: NO MOTION, NOW WHAT? (February 08, 2017 05:23AM) VidGreg
Hi Margo
Motion 4 no longer works you need to upgrade to Motion5. Motion is a stand alone program and will work with FCP7. There are a few things that do not work as well as in FCPX. Motion 5 is a big improvement over 4. On of the main advantages is the ability to create effects. All FCPX effects are built on Motion 5 and you can open them in Motion and modify parameters.

Margo, I really want to encourage you to try FCPX, there is a free 30 day trial. Watch some tutorials on YouTube and then forget most of what you learned in 7 and try FCPX for 30 days. Especially try the compound clips, magnetic timeline, green screen compositing. FCPX is sooo much faster than 7. Audio never goes out of sync, Multi-cam syncing is fantastic, and once you get into using meta-data you will never want to go back to legacy FCP. While the change over can be problematic, once you agree to forget 7 work methods, FCPX new paradigm will make you wish you had switched sooner. I bought FCPX early, but due to using multi cams I didn't embrace the new FCP for maybe a year. As more and more features were added, I began to only edit in X. I even bought 7toX so I could convert older projects if I needed to re-edit.

Enough evangelizing, Happy Editing.
Hope this helps, Greg
Re: NO MOTION, NOW WHAT? (February 08, 2017 06:57AM) David Harbsmeier
opps - wrong thread!

Re: NO MOTION, NOW WHAT? (February 08, 2017 09:32AM) Joe Redifer
Motion 5 won't work with her old OS. Unless Apple offers previous version of the app for sale depending on what OS the user has installed.
Re: NO MOTION, NOW WHAT? (February 08, 2017 09:49AM) Margo
Thanks Greg and Joe. Really don't want to go to FCPX. Considering Premiere. I still have my old Mac so I expect I will just create graphics in Motion and export and then use them on the new iMac.

Thanks Joe for the confirmation on using Motion.

The never-ending saga of FCP!

If anyone has other suggestions about a graphics program I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Margo
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login