Daylight Saving Time (March 11, 2017 08:59AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Everyone,

If you live on my side of the 'Pond', then tonight, Saturday March 11, is time to adjust your clocks for Daylight Saving Time. 'Spring Forward', set your clocks ahead one hour before you go to bed.

Oh lucky us.

--ken
Re: Daylight Saving Time (March 12, 2017 12:20AM) XGTV
Ken, things wouldn't be the same without your annual daylight savings message. Unfortunately for us on the other side of the pond, we have to endure an extra two weeks of darkness before we can share your enthusiasm for the daylight. Can't wait.
Re: Daylight Saving Time (March 12, 2017 06:59AM) Ken Stone Admin
I remember as a child (a very long time ago) that the great thing about DST was that I could go out and play ball after dinner.

Don't play much ball any more but still have wonderful memories and I still enjoy the longer days.

Not to worry, two weeks will go by fast enough.

--ken
Re: Daylight Saving Time (March 12, 2017 09:26AM) VidGreg
Heck all my clocks reset themselves. No longer have non computer/iphone clocks. Oh how I miss being late or early twice a year;p
Wish US would just adopt DST all year and be done with it.
Greg
Re: Daylight Saving Time (March 12, 2017 10:12AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Greg,

Clocks??? Who uses clocks?

Around here we use candles. In the Spring, at the start of DST, I cut an inch off the top all of the candles. In the Fall, when we go off DST, I put them back.

--ken
Re: Daylight Saving Time (March 13, 2017 07:14AM) Craig Seeman
In an edit room, there's no daylight to save.
Re: Daylight Saving Time (March 15, 2017 12:39PM) Joe Redifer
Right? I know my day is done when the sun starts to come up.
Re: Daylight Saving Time (March 16, 2017 03:29AM) VidGreg
I actually grew up in Indiana. Talk about messing with time! Hard to figure out when to cut the candle and add back in if at all.
Indiana is divided into Eastern Standard Time and Central Standard Time. Growing up some counties observed DST and some didn't.
In the early 60's Indiana was for the most part divided evenly between EST and CST, but counties were able to opt out of one time zone into the other. The time zone maps in Indiana changed year to year. To make matters worse, it was up the county to determine if it would observe DST or not.
So in certain places in Indiana, it was possible to stand on a street corner and step into 3 different hours. EST or EST+DST(EDT) or Central Time+DST(CDT). Think it still is true to this day or at least recently in time. Try that street corner at midnight, wait is it midnight, 11:00 or just 10:00?? Try doing it when DST begins or ends. At least in the fall you can stay in the bars an hour or two or three longer so you might have less chance of noticing.
Going to the grocery store could be a Time Warp. You might leave for work/school across the street at 9:00am and arrive at 8:00am or even 7:00am.

The TV series "West Wing" had a whole episode where this played havoc with the campaign and catching a plane.

So Ken, when do I cut the candle and how many inches ;-p
Greg
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login