CANNOT IMPORT MP3 FILE

CANNOT IMPORT MP3 FILE (June 20, 2017 09:21PM) game-b
I have a song in MP3 format which I want to import into FCPX. Leave files in place, no transcoding etc.

If I import this file or just drag it from the Itunes button onto the timeline, FCPX starts to transcode (?) and then to render (?). The transcoding comes to an end after a long time and the rendering just never ends.

This is new to me, as normally a song, which works perfectly in Itunes, was just immediately accesible and ready to use.

Any suggestions
Cheers
Lucian
Re: CANNOT IMPORT MP3 FILE (June 21, 2017 05:19AM) philsfilm
I use MPEG Streamclip (a free app) to export it to a 48hz aiff file and discard the original MP3. No rendering in FCP X is necessary with aiff files.

Phil
Re: CANNOT IMPORT MP3 FILE (June 21, 2017 05:47AM) game-b
Thx for your help, will try this out. Even if I still think, that this is an abnormal situation. MP3 should be imported into FCPX directly. Don't know if I am missing something.
Re: CANNOT IMPORT MP3 FILE (June 21, 2017 05:55AM) Ken Stone Admin
Since the very first days of FCP (about 14 years ago), we have always converted our audio files to 48k AIFF.

--ken
Re: CANNOT IMPORT MP3 FILE (June 21, 2017 05:58AM) Tom George
When I have a lot of songs to convert I use QT because I found it to be much quicker than MPEG Streamclip.
If you happen to have that MP3 song in FCP you can export to AIFF then re-import.

Tom
Re: CANNOT IMPORT MP3 FILE (June 21, 2017 05:44AM) Tom George
You can also convert the MP3 using QT.

Tom
Re: CANNOT IMPORT MP3 FILE (June 22, 2017 10:36AM) Joe Redifer
FCPX does not transcode MP3s even if you ask it to.
Re: CANNOT IMPORT MP3 FILE (June 24, 2017 02:46AM) David
You can convert it from iTunes to AIFF, then import into FC.
DD
Re: CANNOT IMPORT MP3 FILE (June 25, 2017 09:40PM) ronny courtens
Re: CANNOT IMPORT MP3 FILE (June 25, 2017 10:02PM) philsfilm
So, Ronny, you are saying essentially that it is unnecessary if using FCP X to first convert the MP3 file to AIFF for optimum performance. Correct?

Thanks for all this info.

Phil
Re: CANNOT IMPORT MP3 FILE (June 25, 2017 11:10PM) ronny courtens
That's correct, Phil. If you don't convert the MP3 audio to Linear PCM prior to importing, FCP X will do this automatically while it imports the MP3 file.

Only in very exceptional cases, such as when the MP3 audio has been recorded @ 44.1 KHz in sync with a camera, can it be advised to convert the audio to AIFF or Wav @ 48KHz prior to importing. This to prevent the audio going out of sync with the video on the timeline. I say "exceptional" because I would never use MP3@44.1 KHz as a recording format for synced audio.

Another exception would be if the MP3 file has been created with a second-rate audio converter like the ones you see advertised frequently, and the MP3 has not been encoded properly. Such files might play correctly in iTunes and QT player, but cannot be edited properly in an NLE without producing clicks and plops. These files still need to be converted externally.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: CANNOT IMPORT MP3 FILE (June 26, 2017 01:12AM) game-b
Hi Ronny,

I saw your video. but when I imported my MP3 file, the process with the song (length is a couple of minutes), took much more time. The transcoding was about 10 minutes and the rendering just never ended. So you think there must be something wrong with that file?

Best
Lucian
Re: CANNOT IMPORT MP3 FILE (June 26, 2017 01:17AM) ronny courtens
Hi Lucian,

Yes, exactly. Transcoding takes no more than 1/4 of a second for a 4' clip, including the waveform generation (that is NOT called rendering). And this is with any MP3 clip I import. So the only reasonable conclusion would be that your file is damaged, or it has been created with a funky encoder that does not produce a correct MP3.

Have you tried converting the original file to AIFF using iTunes, Compressor, QT or anything else? And does that file work in FCP X?

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: CANNOT IMPORT MP3 FILE (June 26, 2017 01:21AM) game-b
Yes, thats what I did. I converted it into an AIFF file with Itunes. At least now the song works. But FCPX is rendering each video file I add to the timeline
Re: CANNOT IMPORT MP3 FILE (June 26, 2017 01:50AM) ronny courtens
Do you have Background rendering turned on?

Best wishes,

Ronny
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login