Re: Urgent Information Requested!!

Urgent Information Requested!! (July 10, 2017 03:16AM) Tom George
Here is my situation: My Mac G5 running OS 10.4.11 (Tiger) is in the shop for repair. They have had no luck in fixing it so far.
I am considering buying a MacPro that comes with OS10.5.8 Leopard and I will update to Snow Leopard.

In my G5 I have FCS2 upgrade version from FCP HD. I think it's 4.5.
I am told that it is possible to transfer the programs from my G5 HD to the MacPro using Migration Assistant. I am concerned about some of the programs that I need: Mpeg Streamclip for converting video files, QT 7.6.4 for converting audio files, Toast Titanium for burning DVDs and CDs, and an old Photoshop program that I use to scan from my Epson V500 Photo scanner.

Does anyone see a problem with the above programs running on Snow Leopard? If so, any recommendations on what I can use to be able to perform the needed functions?

A big thanks in advance. Tom
Re: Urgent Information Requested!! (July 10, 2017 10:48PM) Alexander
Snow Leopard allowed all the pro apps, but at 10.6.8 Quicktime got wrecked, stay just below this in Snow Leopard and it's OK.

Cheers
Alexander
Re: Urgent Information Requested!! (July 11, 2017 12:31AM) Tom George
You say ..."stay just below this in Snow Leopard.." So just stay with Leopard, don't upgrade to Snow Leopard?
With Snow Leopard Quick Time is no longer able to be loaded on the Mac?

Tom
Re: Urgent Information Requested!! (July 11, 2017 12:12PM) Alexander
Tom George Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You say ..."stay just below this in Snow
> Leopard.." So just stay with Leopard, don't
> upgrade to Snow Leopard?
> With Snow Leopard Quick Time is no longer able to
> be loaded on the Mac?
>
> Tom

Stay below 10.6.8 in Snow leopard. The installer 10.6 is OK with QT Pro.

Cheers
Alexander
Re: Urgent Information Requested!! (July 11, 2017 02:20AM) VidGreg
Hi Tom
Sorry about your G5, long and glorious career. R.I.P.
Lots of cautions about moving to the Intel MacPro. Moving from PPC processor to Intel changed lots of things.
First AFAIK FCP 4.X.X will not run on Intels, you need at least FCP 5.1.4
QT 7 runs fine, but think again you need the Intel universal version.
If you are going to stick with old PS(ver??), need to see if it will work from the PPC version, don't think so, but I could really be wrong here.
I would see if needed drivers exist for your scanner. The good thing about moving to Intel is that there are more currently supported apps and devices. MacOS driver support is much better than earlier PPC processor support. If the only reason for PS is the scanner support, might find you can bypass it. Left CS4 off my latest computers altogether and now use Pixelmator for photo editing needs. Motion 5 for After Effects.

Personally, I would stay totally away from Migration Assistant. You are looking at a World of Hurts if you go that route, IMHO.
Go with a clean install, manually move any files you need when you need them.

If the reason you are looking at Leopard vs Snow Leopard is because you have found a 2007 or older MP, you might want to look at a 2009/10 MP which is fully supported to the latest OS. All earlier MPs are now obsolete according to Apple. No parts, support. The later ones also allow you to use PC cards mostly out of box.RAM easier to find. Snow Leopard was mostly a refinement of Leopard.

Finally if you are making the leap to a newer computer, maybe it is time to look at the FCPX. Having used FCP from early days, legacy to version 7 (FCS3) I really think FCPX is sooooo much better and faster. I only use the legacy to convert the projects into X version and I won't go back. $299.00 USD and free upgrades, free 30 day trial version available. Another reason to get a 2010 MP.

Best of Luck
Hope this helps, Greg
Re: Urgent Information Requested!! (July 11, 2017 03:11AM) Tom George
Greg,

I have FCStudio upgrade version and when it was installed on my G5 I had to put in the serial number for FCP 4.5 or FCS wouldn't open. With my old PS I would open PS and it would find my scanner and I would scan directly into PS. Then I could do a quick fix of the pictures/slides before saving to a Desktop folder. Will Pixelmator allow me to do the same thing?

Tom
Re: Urgent Information Requested!! (July 12, 2017 02:23AM) Tom George
Greg, I'm told that I will need to install Rosetta to be able to install FCS2. That means installing Snow Leopard. Is there a QT program that will work with Snow Leopard? I will need to be able to play video clips on something?

Tom
Re: Urgent Information Requested!! (July 12, 2017 06:10PM) Alexander
Tom George Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Greg, I'm told that I will need to install
> Rosetta to be able to install FCS2. That means
> installing Snow Leopard. Is there a QT program
> that will work with Snow Leopard? I will need to
> be able to play video clips on something?
>
> Tom

Rosetta is in the extras folder on the Snow Leopard disc, but that may not fix your problem.

Cheers
Alexander
Re: Urgent Information Requested!! (July 24, 2017 01:45AM) Tom George
My QT works on Snow Leopard. Tom
Re: Urgent Information Requested!! (July 11, 2017 02:33AM) VidGreg
Tom
Just remembered, if you have FCStudio version 2, this included FCP 6, not 4.5
FCP6 will run somewhat on Intel, but there are issues, including getting it to install. Disk image is your friend here.

Hope this helps, Greg
Re: Urgent Information Requested!! (July 11, 2017 03:14AM) Tom George
Instead of Migration Assistant you are advising that I use Disk image to move my programs from my Tiger HD to the MacPro Leopard HD? Is Disk image on the MacPro computer?

Tom
Re: Urgent Information Requested!! (July 11, 2017 03:20AM) Tom George
Greg,
If I can get FCS to install properly on the MacPro what editing issues would I run into? I have unfinished projects created in FCP 6.0.6. If I only install FCP 5.1.4 would my projects still be intact? Tom
Re: Urgent Information Requested!! (July 11, 2017 05:32AM) VidGreg
Re: Urgent Information Requested!! (July 11, 2017 06:22AM) Tom George
Greg,

Apple began providing the means for app creators to make universal versions of their apps that would run on both PPC macs and Intel macs. Says Universal in Info pane of applications.

Based on that statement I checked the FCS2 box and it says "International". Is that the same as universal? I hope so.

Tom
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login