Re: Audio Levels in FCPX

Audio Levels in FCPX (August 02, 2017 06:58PM) pnutsnz
Hi all. Special thanks Ken to all who helped with my last post regarding what machine to buy. It is a tricky one, as the new iMac Pro is an exceptional machine, but initially will be very expensive. Have to see....

Anyhoo - I have another little issue that might be easily fixed.
At present I have finished filming a local band here in Invercargill, and am now running through the edit.
When I was filming I noticed at one point the levels in the camera (Panny HDC Z10000) were a bit close to peaking, so I adjust them low under a bit of panic :). Then at a different time I have them close to where they should be.
Now the problem I have is within the same track I have the levels way too low, and at another part I have them close to where they should be.
In editing, I am having a fight and a half to get them 'constant' through out the track. I have set key nodes at the point of low, then brought up the db levels that way, but sometimes not enough, but when I use a filer from the Audio Units like "Gain" - it adjusts them globally. I just know I am making this too hard for myself :).

I was pretty sure there was an audio filer in FCP6/7 that could be applied globally, and that would bring the audio to a uniform level - regardless to how high or low they were.

But, never hurts to ask!.

Cheers for any help guys...

Regards,

Pete
Re: Audio Levels in FCPX (August 08, 2017 02:58AM) ronny courtens
Hey Pete,

I think you mean the "Normalization" effect in legacy FCP. Actually that was a simplified compressor, so the Compressor filter in FCP X should allow you to normalize your audio.

But applying a professional compressor requires quite some tweaking and trial and error, that's why Apple has put a simplified "normalizer" effect right inside the audio Inspector. It may be quicker to use this instead.

To "normalize" inconsistent audio in a clip:

- Select the clip and in the Inspector > Audio tab go to Audio Enhancements
- If all Audio Enhancements details do not show, just click on "Show"
- Then check the "Loudness" box.
- Drag the Amount and Uniformity percentage sliders in the Loudness section. The Amount slider increases or decreases the overall loudness (compression) of the clip, and the Uniformity slider increases or decreases the dynamic range affected.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Audio Levels in FCPX (August 09, 2017 01:01AM) VidGreg
Hi Phil
To add to what Ronnie posted…
If you expand audio from the clip, you can then use the "Range Tool". Hold down ("r" key) for temporary activation or press and release for selecting, then click and drag out on the audio portion you wish to change and FCPX will create a range of the clip with 4 automation points. Now you can raise or lower the levels within the middle section. Fast and simple to correct sections of a clip. This can give you greater control verses final overall heavy normalization.
A caution for using Normalization, like any compressor usage, you can lose the dynamic range that may enhance quiet sections for music. Ronnie has provided an excellent visual example of what happens to the wave form before and after. Question becomes is that the level of evenness you want in the audio?
In commercial practice, separate "Masters" are created for songs for radio vs home listening or viewing. For radio, typically you would use a higher compression ratio and boost certain frequencies.
Audio is a very important part of movies and good recording techniques goes a long way to avoiding post correction issues.

Hope this helps, Greg
Re: Audio Levels in FCPX (August 09, 2017 08:05PM) ronny courtens
Excellent advice by Greg, couldn't agree more.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Audio Levels in FCPX (August 11, 2017 10:42AM) pnutsnz
Thanks to all that have replied here!. Good advice.

Yes, audio is very important. Certainly agree there.

I shall try the above advice, and see what happens.

Again, thanks for the in depth replies......

Best wishes everyone,

Pete
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login