Re: Large Video file: Zip?

Large Video file: Zip? (September 07, 2017 11:28AM) benvideo
Hi Guys, I haven't been here in a long time. Not doing anything complicated these days. However I'm finishing an edit and the client wants to make the video's downloadable from her website. The videos are long and I'm gonna break them up into 30 minute segments. My first export was 1.16 gigs, way too big. Can I make zip files and shrink them and maintain quality? If so, how?

Working with OS 10.6.8. I know, it's old but so am I.

Thanks for any advice, BB

Ben Bryant NYC
Re: Large Video file: Zip? (September 07, 2017 10:29PM) jlcinc
No a Zip file of a video will probably be the same size, your going to have to find a way to compress the files to make them smaller. I have done this but of course the quality is going to suffer. Hopefully someone else has a better answer.

John
Re: Large Video file: Zip? (September 09, 2017 12:04AM) benvideo
Thanks guys.

Ben Bryant NYC
Re: Large Video file: Zip? (September 09, 2017 12:00AM) XGTV
Ben, I assume you have exported a ProRes master, I which case the file size will be large. You should compress to Mp4 to make it a more manageable size and give it cross platform capability.
Re: Large Video file: Zip? (September 09, 2017 05:25AM) benvideo
I used QT conversion. At your suggestion I tried Mp4 and the file was 4X larger. Where did I go wrong?
Thanks,

Ben Bryant NYC
Re: Large Video file: Zip? (September 09, 2017 06:48AM) XGTV
Something went badly wrong there Ben. This forum is not the place for lengthy encoding tutorials and there are many ways to do this. However, with most encoding apps the settings can be a bit bewildering. Many things such as frame rate, interlaced or progressive, etc, can be left as "automatic" but the ones which need attention and give me the best quality are:

Concept - Main
H264 level - 4.1
Entropy encoding - CABAC

Hope this helps.
Re: Large Video file: Zip? (September 11, 2017 04:13AM) benvideo
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login