what to do....

what to do.... (December 02, 2017 09:58AM) pnutsnz
Hello everyone,

At present I have a dilemma, with regards to what direction I need to go.
I mentioned earlier about needing a machine that handles multiple video outs (for creating video wall), and thanks to Ken for mentioning the new iMac Pro. It certainly is an impressive machine.
I know I have to do something with what I have got, as it is getting too frustrating to say the least. When I start FCPX up, I get the spinning beach ball for ages (well, 3 minutes - seems like ages :). I have time to shoot away, make coffee, and put the washing on, and I am still waiting. When I change a filter, or change settings - same thing. Just recently when I start FCPX, I get nothing on the Viewer within the program. I get it on the Video output, no probs. But when I click on the timeline to run the video - the outputs are blank. This will be due to, mostly, the on board machine RAM - which is 8GB. That I understand. But to increase the machine to something useable is going to cost around $500.00. Should I do that, or stop wasting good money after bad, and go for something expandable with what I want to add to the machine? (MacPro tower).
The mac I have now is only 2 years old, (iMac Retina 5K 2015, costing $4200.00). I look at my PC friends running Premiere on their machines costing way less, with a lot more on board, they leave me for dead.
One thing I have noticed is over the last 20 years, I have always been 'behind the 8 ball'. Never really managed to get a useable setup right out of the box.
That said, any ideas?. Better still, if some of you could post to me the configurations that you have working 100%, and are satisfied with, that would be a great help!. Give me some direction at least.

Thanks again for any input - it really matters :).

Pete
Re: what to do.... (December 13, 2017 03:24AM) Christoph Vonrhein
Re: what to do.... (December 13, 2017 06:02AM) Tom George
Christoph,

Have you looked into Other World Computer (OWC)? They are macsales.com. They deal in a lot of old Mac equipment.

Tom
Re: what to do.... (December 13, 2017 09:50AM) Christoph Vonrhein
Re: what to do.... (December 13, 2017 09:58AM) Ken Stone Admin
Re: what to do.... (December 13, 2017 10:35AM) Christoph Vonrhein
Re: what to do.... (December 14, 2017 04:58AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Christoph,

I was going to send you a fully loaded iMac Pro for the holidays but seeings how you said that you don't want one ....

I actually wonder who is going to but this machine, it's not exactly what one would call s 'stocking stuffer'.

--ken
Re: what to do.... (December 17, 2017 04:30PM) Christoph Vonrhein
Re: what to do.... (December 13, 2017 02:13PM) Tom George
Christoph, the reason I use OWC is that they have a warranty but not sure what a private person would do if you didn't like the equipment or it doesn't work as advertized. Tom
Re: what to do.... (December 28, 2017 12:17PM) pnutsnz
Wow, sorry guys. I had not checked this for a while - lots of great answers. Thanks.

Yes, At the present I am looking at a 2010 intel Mac Pro tower ($700.00US on local auction) - that would automatically give me 6 PCI cards, among other goodies.
The new iMac Pro is impressive, but the $5000.00 price tag Equates to $8500.00NZ. Out of the question. Just cannot justify it. I have not owned cars that cost that. That will change when I get my Lambo Aventador delivered - Not :).

There is one thing That I need from the start - ability to run 4 monitors at least. Rest will fall into place.

Thanks for now....

Pete
Re: what to do.... (January 09, 2018 01:42AM) Christoph Vonrhein
Re: what to do.... (January 19, 2018 10:00PM) pnutsnz
Christoph, you own a Lambo?!. Gee, Thats kewl.
Although the colour is not the main factor holding me back!.
But I shall take it under advisement.
I certainly admire Lambo for many reasons, the design, and the man behind the car. Also the fact that he had a kiwi test driver (Bob Wallace). Last I heard Bob was working in the USA.
I own a couple of Countach's - well okay they are prints.....

Where are you based / from Cristoph?.

Cheers,

Pete
Re: what to do.... (January 26, 2018 01:13AM) Christoph Vonrhein
Re: what to do.... (February 05, 2018 03:02PM) pnutsnz
Haha, well done. Yes, model cars are a lot cheaper than the real ones - that is for sure!.
Well, in that respect I own a Diablo metal die cast (Yellow).
I guess in real life Lambos are a bit impracticable - vision is a bit hard I am told, and no towing ability for a trailer. Backing them is not so hot either. I think I would *still* put up with those set backs!.

Gee, You are certainly International, born in Germany, residing in the US. It would be great to be based in the US - easy making the decision, impossible in practice - a lot of loop holes to jump through, with tough criteria to meet.

That life....

Thanks again,
Pete
Re: what to do.... (July 21, 2018 04:15AM) Christoph Vonrhein
Re: what to do.... (September 08, 2018 04:23PM) pnutsnz
I did forget to reply to this.... Yes the BMW's are really impressive. My fellow Tech has an M3 - by geez it can move. A neat little two door car, that has the grunt when needed.

I will have to stick to my Mitsubishi L300 van (for carting equipment around) - a lot easier with loading!.

Pete
Re: what to do.... (December 13, 2018 12:47PM) steve douglas
I know people will disagree but my gut tells me that when Apple went from the 32 bit Studio to FCX (even tho it was now 64 bit) it was the beginning of the end for Apple's editing community. I have nothing I can point to to prove that other than the original FCX was missing so many features, came with a whole new interface, and completely changed up keyboard shortcuts that made me feel as if I had to learn a whole new application from the ground up, after spending years becoming semi expert in FCP Studio.

Who here has an extra $17,000 for a fully loaded iMac? My mid 2010 2x 2.66 GHz 6 core Intel Xeon will have to hold up another 1 or 2 decades.

Steve
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login