Traffic on FCP chat boards

Traffic on FCP chat boards (December 22, 2017 09:02AM) Videot
Hi, all —

It's been a very long time since I've posted here (or anywhere, I suppose, for that matter). Which is kind of my point. It seems to me that around the time FCP X was released, and possibly coinciding with what may well have been a mass exodus from Apple's editing platform(s) to Adobe's, message posting traffic on this site and others like it (2-pop, for example) seems to have dropped off dramatically. Even I, who stuck with FCP 7 and gradually moved into the FCP X space (I never jumped to Adobe), started checking the Final Cut boards with decreasing frequency.
But I don't think it's just me. I see a few of the regulars still posting here, but I look at things like white papers and equipment reviews, and they're all very old postings.
I go to 2-pop and it's almost like a wayback machine archive... even the most recent FCP X posts there are several months old.

So what do you suppose accounts for this? I admit that I stopped visiting as often because I got busier at work and, frankly, less dependent on others' help with the problems I'd been encountering. Sticking with FCP 7 kept me familiar with the workflow and there were fewer and fewer instances of situations arising where I found myself at a loss for solutions. Keeping busier meant less time for browsing to see what I could glean from others' questions and solutions, and — I'm sorry to say — less time for ponying up useful solutions to others' unanswered questions. Over the years, I was rarely the one to find the needle in the haystack when it comes to being first in line to answer others' questions, but it happened occasionally and I do miss the challenge. But frankly, it seems that we've all grown together and consequently may need less and less input from others.

I use FCP X now on a daily basis. I like some things about it. I dislike others. A few things downright annoy me and probably always will, so I will continue to handle those types of projects in FCP 7. Some of my recurring projects have now been recreated in FCP X so I don't have to leave it for FCP 7 as often as I used to; other projects are still more easily handled in their native FCP 7 environment.

I do miss the banter (and so I do sneak a peek here every so often, just to keep an eye on what the regulars are doing or look for a new and useful tip from Ronnie). I believe I'll always check in here at least a few times a month, as long as "here" exists. Same with 2-pop, although I really do think it's more of a ghost town over there. At least my old bookmarks still take me to the right place here; over there, my bookmark took me to an archive where FCP X didn't even exist. Finding the right directory only revealed FCP X and FCP 7 message boards with cobwebs on them and virtually nothing new for what appears to be several months.

I'd be curious to see what a new thread on drones would look like here (I finally got my hands on my first — a DJI Spark — and have done as much video capture as possible with my kids on nice weekend days so I can teach myself how to handle it for cinematic moves and angles... yeah, it's consumer, but it also takes very impressive video with minimal practice).

So I guess I'll close with this:

Happy holidays to a great group of people who I've never met in person, but whose camaraderie and common interests helped me through many crises over the past several years. Thanks to those who've helped me, and warmest regards to those who I've been fortunate to have helped. Happy new year to all of you, and while time and tide have caused us to drift of late, let's still endeavor to keep in touch, nevertheless!

— Mike Hoffman
videot27@mac.com

Re: Traffic on FCP chat boards (December 22, 2017 09:42AM) Christoph Vonrhein
Apple destroyed their video editing market competence when they dropped FCP 7 in favor for iMovie Pro... I mean... FCP X. That said, no matter what Apple now does, Adobe has won.

In the beginning FCP X was no competition to anything. I took a few years to evolve and to become a serious competitor. But in the meantime, people had to do their work and slowly switched to other editing solutions. And once they are there, they do not come back. Unfortunately. The quietness on all FCP related boards is a sign for the shifting landscape.

(Downloads After Effects SDK, Opens Xcode, New Project...)

--
Christoph Vonrhein
[www.chv-plugins.com]

Re: Traffic on FCP and Fonts (January 16, 2018 08:51AM) Trig Simon
Hi Joe,
It has been a long time since I have frequented Ken's page. Maybe because I stuck with FCP7 (after trying X and Adobe for a year) and have been happy with the basic editing platform that doesn't screw up Multicam editing.

But, while I am here and your business is Plug-ins, I thought you might be able to help me with Fonts.

I want to add some new fonts from 1001 fonts. When I download them, they go to a folder that doesn't feed the built-in Boris Text feature in FCP7. Can you tell me where to drag the .ttf files?

Trig Simon
Video Images by Trig
11101 Co Rd J
Delta OH 43515
419-693-0872
apple@bex.net
Re: Traffic on FCP chat boards (December 22, 2017 10:46AM) Joe Redifer
It was Apple's market to lose.

A thread on drones? Here I'll answer all of your questions: If in FCP7 you'll need to convert to Prores first. Then edit as normal. The end. FCP7 can do 4K 60fps but FCPX can do it with less hassle.
Re: Traffic on FCP chat boards (December 23, 2017 07:35AM) gaz
Hi
I agree with Mike....i noticed that ...but i Dig in other sources too...i work everyday with fcpx and it is fine for me.....i worked as well with Fcp 3,4,5,6 e 7....i liked all....but today i prefer fcpx....i think with myself If fcpx Will have future.....but....for now i am with It.....and here too....
From Brazil....Happy New year for all.
Re: Traffic on FCP chat boards (December 23, 2017 12:54PM) Christoph Vonrhein
Hi gaz,
I didn't say that FCP X doesn't work well. It's (now) a great product. I work with it, too. And many others like us. But when you look at the masses, then just too many people have left Apple in terms of video editing.

--
Christoph Vonrhein
[www.chv-plugins.com]
Re: Traffic on FCP chat boards (January 29, 2018 03:22AM) ronny courtens
Hey guys,

I had to be absent from forums for a while, so I have missed out on the online chatter.

I respectfully disagree with what is said here about the popularity of Final Cut Pro X. And, based on the bare facts, I have every reason to do this.

- Actually, we have never had as much traffic on FCP X-centric forums and FCP X Facebook groups as now. I am a member of a dozen of FCP X Facebook groups, public or private ones. Some of them count over 30.000 members and growing, and you will find at least 20 new posts there each day. Actually, I just checked one of them and there have been a dozen of new posts only in the past few hours: [www.facebook.com]

- As to dedicated forums: fcp.co now has nearly 17.000 active users, which is 5.000 more than last year. We post new user stories and practical information every other day, and there is a flood of new content coming in the next weeks. Also, Tim Wilson from Creative Cow told me recently that the FCP X user forum is one of the most active forums of the entire Cow.

- Next Saturday we are organizing another FCP X Tour in Madrid, Spain, in a state-of-the-art theatre that can accommodate 250 people. Some of the most respected directors and editors in Spain will be there, to present the award-winning movie and television work they have cut with FCP X. Just one day after we announced the event, it was completely sold out. We actually have a waiting list of over 50 people hoping that someone will cancel last-minute so they still can get in: [fcpxtour.com]

- Our FCP X Tour Youtube channel has 2.000 subscribers, and the videos we post there have reached over 200.000 views. Not bad at all for a highly specialized channel like this: [www.youtube.com]

- As the EMA Business Development manager for LumaForge systems, I see a constantly increasing interest for FCP X by very big players in the media, most of them coming back from switching to Adobe. This is probably due to the fact that, as Christoph says, FCP X has come a very long way in the past few years. But from what those people tell me it is also because they find that Premiere has not lived up to the marketing hype that has been created.

So I don't think that there is a decreasing interest in FCP X, quite the opposite. In the real world, it has never been as popular among media professionals as today.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Traffic on FCP chat boards (January 29, 2018 05:24AM) ericcosh
Totally agree Ronny. So good to hear from you. X rocks!
Re: Traffic on FCP chat boards (February 04, 2018 09:46AM) Trig Simon
Ronnie, I remember you helping me immensely with FCPX awhile back, demonstrating your 16 camera work. I have returned to 7. Has there been any change in the way X handles multi cam editing? Maybe it is time to give it another try.

Thanks,
Trig

Trig Simon
Video Images by Trig
11101 Co Rd J
Delta OH 43515
419-693-0872
apple@bex.net
Re: Traffic on FCP chat boards (February 04, 2018 11:27AM) ericcosh
Hi Trig. Not sure what you mean when you say has there been any change in the way X handles multicam clips. I use it all the time on major projects and it works great. What problems were you having Trig?
Warmly,
Eric
Re: Traffic on FCP chat boards (February 08, 2018 08:01PM) ronny courtens
Hi Trig,

Multicam has not changed much in FCP X, it's still the best multicam solution on the market. What has improved a lot thanks to Roles is how you can mix multicam audio now. Modifying individual audio stems within a multicam project is a breeze. Using Audio Lanes you can apply discrete audio effects and/or volume changes to individual stems, and to the master audio. Certainly worth giving it a run.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Traffic on FCP chat boards (February 10, 2018 04:00AM) VidGreg
Hi All
I agree with Ronny that there is a vital and growing community around FCPX. He forgot to mention that Apple has sold over 2 Million seats in just 5 years. More than twice the number of all Legacy FCP. Of course reducing the price has been a big factor here, but the tools have become much easier to use. Same has happened in the Audio Recording world too. Apple even has an educational ProApp package for $199.00USD bundling FCPX, LogicProX, Motion, Compressor and Main Stage.
I think that Apple is playing an enormous role is democratizing film and video production around the world.

Many folks only value the "Hollywood A" films, but take a look at what is happening in the independent arena. The video/film production has really changed, but there are major movies and houses using FCPX for editing. Ronny has seen the growth FCPX in Europe for both films and television. It is interesting to read his experiences with companies that have switched from other products to FCPX and how they find it superior and faster for their use.

I''m really excited to see groups like "We Make Movies" [www.wemakemovies.org] bringing community supported filmmaking and producing some really excellent films. YouTube is by far the largest distributor of content. At least some of it is good:-}

Think lots of help sites are changing and social media like FB do alter the dynamics and location of dialogue. Still I am grateful for this site and Ken's long time commitment to providing a respectful/helpful site. Thanks Ken!
And Thanks to all of you!
Happy Editing everyone, Greg
Re: Traffic on FCP chat boards (February 10, 2018 07:27AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Guys,

"The Times They Are a Changing"

But Community is still here.

--ken
Re: Traffic on FCP chat boards (February 10, 2018 12:57PM) ericcosh
Yes it is Ken, thanks to you and all you’ve done over the years to promote it. Few people know of your dedication and selfless service to the Final Cut Community. You’re my hero and have been for many years. People who know you feel the same way my friend,

Eric
Re: Traffic on FCP chat boards (February 11, 2018 05:16AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Eric,

Ah shucks.

--ken
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login