Wait... does FCP X (or Compressor) now make full-size BluRays? (March 05, 2018 08:38AM) Videot
Re: Wait... does FCP X (or Compressor) now make full-size BluRays? (March 05, 2018 09:23PM) Joe Redifer
Did it create an .ISO file? What do you mean by "disc image"? I mean it could theoretically create a disc which just automatically played the files back to back. But you can't create much in the way of menus and stuff in Compressor, FCP7 or FCPX. Compressor can make some good Blu-ray ready .264 files though. I use these and then author the actual Blu-ray in Adobe Encore (usually dual layer) since Apple doesn't want us making physical media any more. But Encore won't work in High Sierra so I don't think High Sierra will ever be able to author a proper Blu-ray.

Anyway try burning a disc and see if it plays fine on a few different Blu-ray players.

Re: Wait... does FCP X (or Compressor) now make full-size BluRays? (March 06, 2018 01:22AM) Videot
Re: Wait... does FCP X (or Compressor) now make full-size BluRays? (March 06, 2018 06:33AM) Joe Redifer
Apple fight for HD-DVD which was far and away an inferior product compared to Blu-ray. I agree with you Greg about the attempted DRM of Blu-rays though. What's more is that the industry (besides Adobe) have made Blu-ray authoring apps priced outside of what normal people can afford. This did not help the format at all. You can still make a proper, able-to-be-replicated BD with Encore and if you run into problems BluStreak Tracer can help out.

Source: Have authored commercial Blu-rays.
Re: Wait... does FCP X (or Compressor) now make full-size BluRays? (March 06, 2018 03:23AM) VidGreg
Re: Wait... does FCP X (or Compressor) now make full-size BluRays? (March 06, 2018 04:12AM) Videot
Thanks, Greg!

So what I'm gathering from this is that the .ISO created by Compressor isn't a properly-structured and playable BD disc; I should author directly from FCP X to a BD disc (I hear a lot about the whole "it goes until 66%, then freezes" syndrome so I was a bit worried about racking up an expensive coaster collection that way (given I have four titles to burn to BD — the whole footage collection was about 7 hours so I have three 2-hour discs and a 1-hour final disc, hence my interest in first creating images that can be burned to BD, just like I used to do with DVD Studio Pro — create images first, burn second).

If I were to opt for the Toast option, what does Toast need to import for a proper disc? I did have FCP export the audio and video files for BD... can I just use them, the way I'd use Dolby and MPEG-2 files in DVD-SP?

I hate to sound so thick about this. I guess I was a bit shaky on DVD authoring back in the day until I got used to it, too.

— Mike
Re: Wait... does FCP X (or Compressor) now make full-size BluRays? (March 09, 2018 06:43AM) Videot
Thanks for all the advice... it worked great! Took almost 24 hours total but I now have four BluRay discs carrying all of the HD footage from that trip.

Thanks again!

— Mike
Re: Wait... does FCP X (or Compressor) now make full-size BluRays? (March 09, 2018 06:24PM) Joe Redifer
Beats DVD any day!
Re: Wait... does FCP X (or Compressor) now make full-size BluRays? (March 12, 2018 08:46AM) Videot
Hi, Greg —

The initial burns of each disc took a few hours each, direct from FCP. So that's four discs at about 5-1/2 hours each, including encoding and burning (two hour run-times for discs 1-3, and disc 4 only had an hour of material on it so it was slightly — but not much — faster to process).

When I tried doing "burn again" with the first disc, it looked like the encoding was happening again so I stopped the process and went on to discs 2 - 4.

Once they were all done, I made .iso images of each disc and used them for subsequent burns... but it still took a bit of time for making the image and doing the burns... still, those were all gotten through in a few hours the next day. The bulk of the time was that first pass of creating the actual discs, 1 through 4.

Results look great, though!

— M.
Re: Wait... does FCP X (or Compressor) now make full-size BluRays? (March 10, 2018 12:26PM) VidGreg
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login