Faulty video card on mid-2011 27" iMac (May 15, 2018 04:32AM) philsfilm
Hi Ken,

The video card on my 27" iMac (mid-2011) crapped out. Since it's a "vintage" machine (more than five years old), Apple won't repair it. I found a free-lance guy who says he can replace the AMD Radeon 6970 card for $600+ with a 90 day guarantee. Another repair guy said that it is a near impossible fix since the video card is part of the mother board and that I would better off with purchasing a new iMac. In 2014, when the computer was still under warranty, Apple replaced the original card. If it was done once before, could it not be done again by a competent technician?
Anybody have an opinion based on experience?

Thanks,
Phil
Re: Faulty video card on mid-2011 27" iMac (May 17, 2018 01:49AM) Craig Seeman
Re: Faulty video card on mid-2011 27" iMac (May 31, 2018 02:06PM) Joe Redifer
This is the one bad thing about Macs. Very difficult to repair. You can't just pop another video card in there like you can with a PC. This is why I long for the modular Mac Pros where you CAN simply replace the video card. I'm afraid those days are long gone with Apple products, however. Unless you build a Hackintosh which is becoming more and more appealing. Honestly Apple should support that concept.

Re: Faulty video card on mid-2011 27" iMac (June 12, 2018 12:43PM) philsfilm
It's finally fixed. The freelance repair guy replaced the video card for $600 and a new logic board as well at no extra charge. The only (slight) difference is the new logic board has a 3.1 GHz processor core i5. The original was 3.4 core i7. But all seems OK for now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login