Re: Discussion board will close at the end of 2018

Discussion board will close at the end of 2018 (October 18, 2018 08:17AM) Ken Stone Admin
Re: Discussion board will close at the end of 2018 (October 21, 2018 11:57PM) Beatrice horsley
Hello Ken

Just to say a great big thank you for all the wonderful help given over the past years by you and the F C. P family.
It was a lifesaver for many of us. Replies when not deadly serious were extremely humorous.
I will miss you all.

Thanks again
Love and best wishes to all.

Beatrice
Re: Discussion board will close at the end of 2018 (October 23, 2018 08:03PM) Alexander
It ain't over yet, com-on, someone here can help out, Ken has become an institution and lifted amateurs to become professional.
We owe this man, we should and can levy the members and get pro assistance to keep this board alive.

Cheers
Alexander
Re: Discussion board will close at the end of 2018 (October 24, 2018 11:34PM) Beatrice horsley
Hi Alexander

I like the fighting talk, where do we start? What’s needed to keep the board alive?.
All the Best
Beatrice
Re: Discussion board will close at the end of 2018 (October 28, 2018 09:49PM) Alexander
For Christoph at CHV,
Hi Chris,
as you will have read, Ken's site will close at the end of 2018. My idea was to make this a subscription site, at a very low fee. You have the skills to facilitate/ host this if only the reference to all the invaluable white papers. we all owe this man.
Cheers
Alexander

Cheers
Alexander
Re: Discussion board will close at the end of 2018 (January 01, 2019 08:03AM) Christoph Vonrhein
Re: Discussion board will close at the end of 2018 (January 01, 2019 08:21AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Christoph,

That would be great news if the software can be updated. I did check awhile back and no update was offered so I thought that it was the end of the line.

Is there a way that you can check to see if it can be updated and if so, would you be able to do it for me?

Let me know.

Thanks

--ken
Re: Discussion board will close at the end of 2018 (January 07, 2019 01:31PM) Christoph Vonrhein
Re: Discussion board will close at the end of 2018 (November 02, 2018 12:34PM) Joe Redifer
I know about vBulletin. Not how to install it, but how to run and moderate it. It's not free software though.

Also, I haven't heard about Earthlink in forvever!
Re: Discussion board will close at the end of 2018 (November 04, 2018 09:41AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Joe,

Thanks for the reply.

The problem is that if my discussion board was updated to new software, all of the contents contained in the old board would have to be updated and brought on board (migrated) the new discussion board software.

At this point in time, any software board update would have to contain all of the old board, otherwise all of that information would be lost anyway and the information contained in the old board is what gives it its value.

I am doubtful that this is a possibility.

Thanks again,

--ken
Re: Discussion board will close at the end of 2018 (November 10, 2018 06:50AM) Joe Redifer
I can't seem to find what "brand" of bulletin board this forum is. Do you know?
Re: Discussion board will close at the end of 2018 (November 10, 2018 07:23AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Joe,

The Discussion board software is version 5.2.7 of the Phorum software

Note from Earthlink

On April 1, 2018, EarthLink web hosting customers will automatically be upgraded to PHP 7.1. PHP is a server-side scripting language sometimes used for web development and can be embedded into HTML.

If your website uses deprecated functionality from PHP 5.6 and is not updated prior to April 1, 2018, there may be issues with your website.

We recommend you preview your website on PHP 7.1 prior to April 1, 2018. To preview on PHP 7.1, visit customerdomain.tld.php71-previewc38.carrierzone.com, replacing “customerdomain.tld” with your domain. For example, if your domain is mybusiness.com, visit mybusiness.com.php71-previewc38.carrierzone.com.

---------

--ken

To upgrade to PHP 7.1 prior to the automatic upgrade on April 1, 2018, please follow these steps:
Re: Discussion board will close at the end of 2018 (December 13, 2018 12:35PM) steve douglas
As a long time follower of Ken's site and sometimes a contributor, this portends the end of an era. Not sure a paid subscription would succeed without new tutorials and articles to go along with it as it had been for many years.

That said, I hope I am wrong. Ken has been a friend to all of us over the years and as Alexander has said, was responsible for many amateurs to become professionals due to the discussion board and the many articles and tutorials.

Peace out,
Steve
Re: Discussion board will close at the end of 2018 (December 20, 2018 05:19AM) VidGreg
Hey Ken
Just want to say thank you for creating this site and forum. Know it is a lot of work that you have graciously done from kindness and sense of community. Big heart felt Thank You!

I have been coming to this site for years and appreciate all the good info and the wonderful community forum members' help over the years. I started with FCP4. Thanks to all in the community.

Best wishes and Happy Editing to all.
Greg
Re: Discussion board will close at the end of 2018 (December 21, 2018 06:16AM) Ken Stone Admin
Thanks to all of you for your kind words and kudos. Much appreciated.

It has been quite a ride.

--ken
Re: Discussion board will close at the end of 2018 (December 24, 2018 09:49AM) David
Thank you, Ken, and all who have helped me through the years. I'll be signing off as well, as I will edit my last job in January.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, may the new year bring y'all joy and happiness and Peace on Earth. So long from Southeast Texas.

David Dickerson
Re: Discussion board will close at the end of 2018 (December 27, 2018 08:18AM) Videot
This is my last day at work before the NYE calendar rollover, and — I presume, based on the original post in this thread — the last post I'll be able to make on this board. I'm sad to see it go.

Because of this website and this board, I have been able to make my living using, as one rather important tool in my collection, Final Cut Pro. Alongside that, such tools as Compressor, DVD Studio Pro, LiveType, and any number of other applications whose names and functions I've forgotten over the years as my MacOS has subsetted their functionality... but all of which I learned more about by chatting with others on this board.

Ronny Courtens, Ken, Christoff, Joe, Steve, and far too many others to name and even remember (sorry) over the years have been among my guides, and I can't thank them all enough (the ones I've named as well as the ones I haven't). I think I may have even helped a few people along the way... thanks to them, too, because I believe I learn by helping, too, since helping often means figuring out something that someone else can't figure out — those experiences often help later on when I might come across a similar situation and now already know the answer).

Ken — you've done this community a great service by providing this resource over the years. Thank you in particular for this.

Ronny — I have always learned from — and been inspired by — you, whether you've been helping me directly or I've just been caught in the crossfire of you helping others. You have been my guru in more ways than I can ever recount. What I wouldn't give to be a fly on the wall in your edit suite or even just your company. Heck, I bet I'd learn a lot just in the break room over there.

My attendance of late hasn't been what it used to be around here, but I've been lurking and learning as time permits, and not being able to chat on this board anymore will no doubt leave an emptiness of which I'll become more and more aware as 2019 progresses and turns to 2020 and beyond. I feel like I'm about to move to another state and leave all my friends and acquaintances behind without giving a forwarding address.

Be well, everyone, and keep cutting. Keep fighting the good flight to keep up with the crazy twists and turns in this life we've chosen as (mostly) Apple-based editors. I work at a school which has been overwhelmingly PC-based for many years, but I've always been able to justify being one of the few Mac guys here because I've always convinced them that video editing is best done on that platform. This board has been one of a handful of reliable resources which has kept me able to do that over the years, so — again — thank you all.

If any of you are so inclined to keep in touch, I can be reached at videot27 at mac dot com.

I'll keep an eye out for you!

— Mike Hoffman
Re: Discussion board will close at the end of 2018 (December 28, 2018 11:35AM) Craig Seeman
Re: Discussion board will close at the end of 2018 (December 28, 2018 11:37AM) Craig Seeman
Re: Discussion board will close at the end of 2018 (December 30, 2018 01:33AM) ronny courtens
I will miss this valuable board, Ken. If there's anything I can do to keep this going, contact me.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Discussion board will close at the end of 2018 (December 30, 2018 06:19AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Ronny,

Thanks for the offer. If anything comes up I'll let you know.

--ken
Re: Discussion board will close at the end of 2018 (December 30, 2018 07:02AM) steve douglas
It just occurred to me that all the articles, tutorials and reviews will be lost to the ether. A shame. There must be some way to preserve them for future generations who's holographic editing will make us all look like the Cro Magnums of film technology.
Re: Discussion board will close at the end of 2018 (December 30, 2018 08:08AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Steve,

If you'll go back and re-read my original post you'll see where I said:

"The closing of my Discussion board will in no way affect my main FCP article web site which will continue to run as normal. "

--ken
Re: Discussion board will close at the end of 2018 (December 30, 2018 12:56PM) steve douglas
Doh!!!
Re: Discussion board will close at the end of 2018 (January 01, 2019 08:37AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Everyone,

Happy New Year. My hope is that it is a quiet and peaceful year going forward.

I don't know when or if this board will stop functioning, Earthlink said at year's end (2018) and we're there now. Don't know, maybe we got a reprieve, now that would be nice.

It has been such a joyous and productive time working with all of you and to see so many of you helping others and building the community. For me and for most of you it has been quite a ride. Just thinking back to where and when it all started with DV video, DV cameras, 4:3, Firewire, tape decks and FCP.

Boy we've come a long way.

Thank you all for all of the support that you have offered here at this discussion board. I have always been impress with the generosity of all of you.

Thanks.

--ken

Re: Discussion board will close at the end of 2018 (April 04, 2019 04:55AM) VidGreg
Hi Ken
me thinks… "The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

At least in regards to the discussion forum.

Glad you are still here. Any updates on current status? Were you able to update the backend?

Thanks for all the years of kindness and help.

Greg
Re: Discussion board will close at the end of 2018 (April 04, 2019 06:35AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Greg,

Well, so far so good. Don't know, but maybe we got lucky and the board will stay up and continue to run. Christoph did some checking for me and it seems that there are others in the same situation so maybe Earthlink has decided to accommodate us.

Fingers crossed and thanks for asking.

--ken
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login