Re: Accents in text

Accents in text (January 30, 2019 02:22PM) David
IN FCP5, creating a Spanish text. Are there keystrokes to create accents over letters? For example, the word "area" should have an accent over the first "a".

Thanks,
DD
Re: Accents in text (February 01, 2019 05:30AM) VidGreg
¡Holá! DD

AFAIK the diacritical accents are built into the macOS system and should work inside all versions of FCP for text.

Sorry don't have FCPX open right now and haven't opened FCP5 in a long time.
Not sure what Mac OS version you are using, but there are numerous ways to get to the accent marks.

Latest versions support simply holding down the letter key that you want a accent for a second of two and a pop-up window will appear with the options of any diacritical accents showing. Select/click on one or use the number keys to paste the accents and letter.

Or you can use the option key shortcuts. Here you hold down the "Option" key, press the appropriate key for whatever accent you want then release and press the letter that you want the accent over. What accent you get is controlled by the key you press while holding down Option key.

You can use the virtual keyboard to input accents. This can be set up in menu bar using System Preferences>Keyboard "Show in Menu Bar" checkbox You find the accents under the Keyboard Viewer, then press various modifier keys; opt/shift/control, …, the virtual keyboard will show the options for each modifier key. Select the accent, then type the letter you want accented.

Finally I think you can simply copy and paste text from another app where you have included accent marks.

Doing this from top of head, so who knows if I'm remembering correctly.

Hope this Helps, Greg
Re: Accents in text (February 01, 2019 06:21AM) David
Thank you so much, Greg! I'll try these and let you know the results.
Many, Many thanks!
DD
Re: Accents in text (February 01, 2019 07:41AM) David
Couldn't make anything work. Thanks for trying.
DD
Re: Accents in text (March 23, 2019 01:26AM) XGTV
You can try changing your keyboard layout to Spanish, click on the flag, top right. However, from my own experience, choosing Greek causes fcp wierdness. Try the copy and paste method that David suggests.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login