Re: cda and aif

cda and aif (August 24, 2020 02:43PM) Tom George
ok all you audio fans perhaps you can figure this mystery. I have a cd with cda audio files that I converted to MP3 using Windows Media Player. I then converted the MP3 files to aif using QT on my Mac. I then burned an aif cd. Here's the mystery: When I load the aif cd into my pc and play them with Windows Media Player the files are cda. How does that happen?

Thanks, Tom
Re: cda and aif (August 25, 2020 05:14PM) Joe Redifer
Because the Mac burned a normal audio CD. CDDA is the redbook audio format. You can literally drag and drop files from any music CD in the Finder on a Mac and you get a 44.1Khz stereo 16-bit AIF file. No need to use Windows for any of this. Also, going to MP3 and back is destructive to the audio.

Re: cda and aif (August 26, 2020 02:25AM) Tom George
Joe, thanks for the info. But I would like to know why Windows Media Player took the Aif files that I made and turned them into CDA files. Tom
Re: cda and aif (August 26, 2020 05:12AM) Joe Redifer
It didn't. Apple interprets CDDA as AIF and Windows CDA. Both files contain the same linear PCM data.
Re: cda and aif (August 26, 2020 10:42AM) Tom George
I opened Finder but could not load any songs in it.
Re: cda and aif (August 26, 2020 03:52PM) Joe Redifer
Take the CD you burned on your Mac, put it into your Mac and mount the disc. Double click on the disc to open it and drag a track to the desktop. It becomes an AIF.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login