importing stills to FCP7 - squished pictures (October 08, 2020 05:34AM) storme
I've used photoshop CS3 to create a picture in 1920 x 1080 pixels
when I import it into FCP7 and drag to the viewer, it's flattened i.e. it looks squished on the vertical plain and/or stretched on the horizontal - easy to see this as it is a circular logo - well, it was before it arrived in FCP!
I have found and read something about the shapes of pixels - so I'm ready to learn that importing stills is more complicated than understand so far. but I've not found much on the specific subject.
I checked the properties of the jpg' frame size as reported by FCP7 and it is certainly 1920 x 1080, and matches the frame size of my movies and everything else.
I've tried to import as a jpg and a tiff.

many thanks in advance to those who know and can teach me!

please let me know if you need any more info
Storme
Re: importing stills to FCP7 - squished pictures (October 09, 2020 05:21PM) Alexander
There is a preset in Photoshop. Look for the output set you want and select that for your picture creating.

Cheers
Alexander
Re: importing stills to FCP7 - squished pictures (October 10, 2020 03:00AM) storme
thank you Alexander - I've found one (HDTV 1080p 29.97) that worked.
im confused as it has the same dimensions (1920 x 1080) as the other jpegs I tried but - no squashing!

as a beginner I'm wary that I may get into a pickle further down the line.
i dont even know if this is the correct output set - or do I not need to worry as the picture looks ok in the frame.

my sequences are 25fps
the film and video size preset states 29.97 - does that matter?

very grateful anyway for this step forward!
Storme
Re: importing stills to FCP7 - squished pictures (October 11, 2020 02:23PM) Alexander
Good.The square pixels vs rectangular pixels thing is dealt with by Photoshop. What you need your final delivery format to be?

Cheers
Alexander
Re: importing stills to FCP7 - squished pictures (October 12, 2020 06:54AM) storme
Hi Alexander, Well I only know its HD, 1920 x 1080 and will be going to what will be our You Tube channel.
I'm adding audio recorded separately - do I need to be aware of rates of audio recording that could potentially clash with FCP frame rates.
I MAY have encountered imported audio (aiff) drifting out of sync but I need to investigate and or experiment to eliminate the possibility that I've nudged/upset something myself by mistake!!
thank you again for your help in this.
Storme
Re: importing stills to FCP7 - squished pictures (October 12, 2020 12:22PM) Alexander
YouTube will set the codec they need for their server. You really don't need HD and separately recorded audio which you may have problems synching up to the video. Use a camera which records video and audio together. Besides there is really no useful delivery target for HD on the Mac.

Cheers
Alexander
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login