Upgrade problem FCPX

Upgrade problem FCPX (October 11, 2020 10:08PM) Craig Golding
Hi Folks
I have FCPX 10.4.8 on my laptop which I used to import about 60 tapes into various libraries over a number of months which I saved on an external drive . This is all good and I can access them HOWEVER I also have a copy of FCPX on my IMAC which has a large screen and which I want to edit all this work. But I have just clicked on one of the Libraries on the ext drive using the IMAC and a box comes up saying it couldn’t be opened as the libraries were created on a newer version of FCP and that the libraries will be ignored. I have just checked the version of FCP on the IMAC and have realised it is only version 10.4.6 Does anyone know how I can upgrade my IMAC to the 10.4.8 and do you think this would solve my problem?
Re: Upgrade problem FCPX (October 12, 2020 07:25PM) Alexander
What OS is on your laptop and is it different on the iMac?

Cheers
Alexander
Re: Upgrade problem FCPX (October 12, 2020 08:19PM) Craig Golding
Hi Alexander Thanks for getting back to me.
The operating system on the IMac is 10.13.6 ( HIGH SIERRA) and the version of FCPX is 10.4.6. On the MacBookPro the OP is 10.14.6 (Mojave) and the version of FCPX is 10.4.8.
Re: Upgrade problem FCPX (October 13, 2020 02:35PM) Alexander
Going from different OS between your machines. Can you move your iMac up to 10.14.6 ?

Cheers
Alexander
Re: Upgrade problem FCPX (October 13, 2020 10:54PM) Craig Golding
I have a problem with moving the iMac up to 10.14.6. I am a photographer and have a scanner that will no longer work with that Operating System and unfortunately they just don't make decent neg scanners any more. Typical. Would it still be worth trying to update the version of FCPX to 10.4.8 from the 10.4.6 ? Only problem is I can't find anywhere that will allow me to do this . I have searched for hours and tried to contact Apple about it with no luck\response. Any ideas as to how I could possibly upgrade to or find a link to upgrade to 10.4.8 to try it ???
Thanks for your help and time
Cheers Craig
Re: Upgrade problem FCPX (October 13, 2020 11:00PM) Alexander
I think your problem may be the different versions of OS and FCX on your machines. You could test your media by using an external drive on the iMac and installing10.14.6 on that, and try.

Cheers
Alexander
Re: Upgrade problem FCPX (October 15, 2020 03:14PM) Craig Golding
Hi Alexander and Greg
Really appreciate your help with this. Unfortunately I have a Neg scanner and some seperate scan software for it that I bet when I check will tell me they will no longer work with Mojave. If that is the case I will probably have to live with editing on my little laptop. If it isn't the case I will update the os and fcpx and hope it works. Once again thanks for your time help and Knowledge.
Cheers Craig
Re: Upgrade problem FCPX (October 14, 2020 01:28PM) VidGreg
Hi Craig
High Sierra will only support up to FCPX 10.4.6 not the latest versions(10.4.8). In other words FCPX 10.4.8 requires Mojave, Catalina or Big Sur.
You would need to upgrade to at least Mojave or you can install Mojave on an external ssd drive and boot your iMac from that. Using an external drive, you may notice some slowness in editing, so would definitely recommend a fast ssd and using the fastest available I/O port.
It sounds like these are lower resolution files so editing should be okay. 4K and greater files might saturate the drive/I/O bus especially for multi-cam edits.

Hope this Helps, Greg
Re: Upgrade problem FCPX (October 15, 2020 03:19PM) Craig Golding
Thanks Greg posted a thank you under alexanders reply that I wanted you to get as well. cheers Craig
Re: Upgrade problem FCPX (October 21, 2020 11:58AM) XGTV
I would have thought the simple solution would be to have both systems running on 10.4.6.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login