DVD Studio Pro Query (March 13, 2021 02:22PM) pnutsnz
Hi guys,

It has been a while, but I find myself needing to author a DVD disk. I have had to refresh my memory, but I remembered there was a few things I had to do in sequence, else I get fails.
So I am getting fails :).
If I try to build and burn, it just hangs forever at 0%.
So I try to just build to the hard drive, then it hangs after 10%. Have included a file of the log window.

I remember there was a few things I worked out last time (a while ago) - but cannot remember!. One thing that was weird was when I added the mp2 video to the window, it jumped from Wide screen to SD. When I simulate the video I have to select "16;9 wide" from the sim window.

Any help as usual is always appreciated.

Pete
Re: DVD Studio Pro Query (March 13, 2021 09:13PM) Alexander
Re: DVD Studio Pro Query (March 14, 2021 05:31PM) pnutsnz
Thanks Alexandra. I shall look into that.
I did use Compressor to prepare the files with the only option I could see. But will check the settings.

Thanks again!,

Pete
Re: DVD Studio Pro Query (March 14, 2021 06:06PM) pnutsnz
Hi there Alexandra. I just checked the file outputted from Compressor, it is indeed 'm2v'. So all good there.
Might need to check elsewhere?.

Will try a few options, but seem to be running around in circles ending back where I started.

Thanks for now,

Pete
Re: DVD Studio Pro Query (March 14, 2021 06:18PM) Alexander
Did you do a "Build " first and point the formatting to that file?

Cheers
Alexander
Re: DVD Studio Pro Query (March 14, 2021 10:43PM) pnutsnz
Hi Alexandra,
What I did first was choose "Build & Format" within DVDSP first. When that hung I just chose "Build", then that hung.

As mentioned there was something I remember about the setup, it might have been the build had to be in the same volume / folder as the project? - something like that.

Cheers,

Pete
Re: DVD Studio Pro Query (March 14, 2021 11:09PM) Alexander
As I recall you "Build" from your assets which have been muxed to VTS files in a designated folder and "Format" from that.

Cheers
Alexander
Re: DVD Studio Pro Query (March 26, 2021 03:27PM) pnutsnz
Bit of an update.....

I found the problem with one of the menu assets not being encodedq properly - which was where it was freezing. So that is fixed.

So I managed to get a disc burnt. When I insert and start DVD player - it comes back with "Unsupported Format". Can't play.

SO when I checked the folder it built in, it is labelled "HDDVD" - which I think might be a problem. Think I should have "SD-Widescreen" as the format.

But when I pop back into the disc structure in DVDSP, HDDVD is chosen and I cannot change it. It is dimmed. Yet this must have happened when I first linked the assets, as I am sure nothing was dimmed at the start?.

Interesting. But am making progress, just nothing finalised yet!.

Thanks for any help.
Pete
Re: DVD Studio Pro Query (March 26, 2021 07:21PM) Alexander
All DVD from DVDStudioPro is SD, go back and check your media.

Cheers
Alexander
Re: DVD Studio Pro Query (March 27, 2021 12:46PM) pnutsnz
Thanks Alexandra, yes it must be at the media side. Although it was recorded on a Panny HD camera, 1080p @ 25fps. So I will have to re-encode that?.
Will give it a try.

Thanks for now,

Pete
Re: DVD Studio Pro Query (March 27, 2021 12:48PM) pnutsnz
Actually I have just checked the footage off the camera - it is @ 1024x576. Guess that won't be helping?.
Re: DVD Studio Pro Query (March 27, 2021 07:24PM) Alexander
PAL DVD is always 720x576* with either a 4:3 or 16:9 display aspect ratio (DAR). Either the player or TV will adjust for the DAR at playback. If the DVD is 16:9 DAR the the 720x576 frame is stretched horizontally to a ratio of 1024x576.
Go back and check to comply your media to editing specs, not display specs.

Cheers
Alexander
Re: DVD Studio Pro Query (March 27, 2021 07:34PM) Alexander
PAL DVD standard is 720x576.Your 1024x 576 is a display res created by the tv or player and not an editing standard.
Get your media into the correct standard and then continue your project

Cheers
Alexander
Re: DVD Studio Pro Query (March 27, 2021 12:49PM) Alexander
pnutsnz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks Alexander, yes it must be at the media
> side. Although it was recorded on a Panny HD
> camera, 1080p @ 25fps. So I will have to re-encode
> that?.
> Will give it a try.
>
> Thanks for now,
>
> Pete

25fps is a PAL standard, are you wanting that or NTSC?

Cheers
Alexander
Re: DVD Studio Pro Query (March 27, 2021 01:04PM) pnutsnz
Yes, sorry we are operating on 25fps PAL.
So I edited that is FCPX, then sent to Compressor as is. Within Compressor I chose the standard for DVD+Audio. Then brought those assets into DVDSP, the second I create a track and insert them, it chooses HDDVD as the standard for the disc, and dims everything so it cannot be changed. So I guess I want widescreen PAL, 1280x720?. Not sure.

Thanks,

Pete
Re: DVD Studio Pro Query (April 07, 2021 06:29AM) Videot
Sounds to me like you're using HD footage. Straightforward PAL DVDs need to be standard-def. I'm not at my Mac right now but you'll want to be sure Compressor is encoding for standard-definition DVD. This might involve first down-rezzing from FCP. Like you, it's been a while since I did this!

-- Mike
Re: DVD Studio Pro Query (April 07, 2021 06:29AM) Videot
Sounds to me like you're using HD footage. Straightforward PAL DVDs need to be standard-def. I'm not at my Mac right now but you'll want to be sure Compressor is encoding for standard-definition DVD. This might involve first down-rezzing from FCP. Like you, it's been a while since I did this!

-- Mike
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login