record on P2, output HDV tape

record on P2, output HDV tape (June 16, 2008 02:15AM) Anonymous User
Hello,
I apologise if this is against protocol.I posted this in your older forum, but no response. I thought I would try it here, just in case it got lost in the shuffle. Here is the situation, I have a client who just switched from SD (mini dv) to HDV (Canon XH-A1), which is his sole playback deck. I have the hvx200 and have been shooting his stuff on mini dv tape. Now I will have to use P2 cards for HD (dvdpro-hd or whichever hd format will work for this). Can FCP put this in some format that will be compatible for him and maintain a HD or HDV quality? Is there some sort of data dvd that I can make that he can use (he does his own post, with other footage besides mine) then output it to his own format for his library (he wants to keep a tape library of raw footage)? A lot of questions, I know.
Thanks you.
George Mirabal
Re: record on P2, output HDV tape (June 16, 2008 07:12AM) Ken Stone Admin
Re: record on P2, output HDV tape (June 16, 2008 09:57PM) Paul
Beware that ProRes 422 needs a data rate of ~18MB/s which is a lot higher than DV/HDV (~3.5MB/s) if he has a system set up for DV/HDV this (and DVCProHD at ~13.5MB/s) might prove too much for your client.

If this is the case then it might make sense to take everything natively to HDV - I know its a horrible codec to edit with and put graphics over but if he's going back out to HDV then you'll skip a layer of re-compression by not going via ProRes.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login