Re: Sountrack Pro 2 Cant Save Project File error

Sountrack Pro 2 Cant Save Project File error (January 03, 2009 08:57AM) CoolerUK
Hi Guys,

New to the Forum - thanks all in advance for sharing your knowledge and expertise.

So i have FCS 2 - running 10.5.6 on a Macbook Pro 2.16ghz 2 Gig Ram. Brand New LACIE HD FW2, 400 Gigs Free.

First time using STP.

I have a problem when i send a clip from FC to STP:

I right click the clip, sent to STP Audio Project - no problems.
It asks me to name it and save location. - Fine
Opens up automitically in STP2 - I repair the Audio i - grrrreat.

I go to save so that FCP can update the changes and i get: Error, unable to save xxx.stap

If I chose to save it as any other file type (aiff etc...) no problem.

Only once - it managed to work correctly for the first clip i tried, but any subsequent clips i can't save.

One other time I tried it - and the audio in FCP went offline.

Checked all settings and prefs - but not sure what to look into.

Could it be to do with the fact that the audio from the different clips in FCP are from the same file in the BIN? ( ie One take divided into different clips for editing?) - i don't think it should matter - but it's all i can think of.

Thanks

J
Re: Sountrack Pro 2 Cant Save Project File error (January 03, 2009 11:57AM) CoolerUK
Ok Here's an interesting thing i discovered about it after about 5 hours of crying.

If i send the clip to STP, do my audio repair to the clip,

THEN go BACK to FCP and "UNDO" the send to Sountrack Action,

I can then go back to STP and SAVE the audio project.

Only problem is the Audio project and FCP are not linked.

But then I go BACK into FCP - SHIFT 'Z' - To bring the Soundtrack Action back again, and the clip shows as offline. Right click 'Reconnect Media', and because i have now been able to save the file in the isolated way - the new audio clip is connected back into my project, and i can continue.

But this is obviously not the "Seamless Integration" that should be happening..

Any ideas?

Thanks Again

Jamie

Re: Sountrack Pro 2 Cant Save Project File error (January 03, 2009 02:15PM) CoolerUK
OK to sum up both of the last 2 posts basically what i've figured out is the problem is this:

When I send to STP from Final Cut the only way i am able to save the file is by clicking the "Reference Audio Files " Option in the Save File Dialogue Box. If I use the "Include Source Audio" option it can't save.

But by saving the "Reference way" - it causes the Audio in FCP to go offline and i have to reconnect the audio by pointing it to the saved File on My HD.

Hope that clarifies the Problem I am having. Any solutions to it?

Thanks Again

:)
Re: Sountrack Pro 2 Cant Save Project File error (January 03, 2009 11:31PM) ronny courtens
Re: Sountrack Pro 2 Cant Save Project File error (January 04, 2009 12:12AM) CoolerUK
Hi Ronny,

Thanks so much for your reply. I think the problem is solved, but i am not sure i am understanding the reason:

1) The Aud Rate and Format Settings were exactly as you described so I moved on to step 2.

2) Followed your instructions:

- I never checked both boxes in the save dialogue box for reference media AND metadata prior to your telling me. So this might be where i was going wrong.... I ignored filling in the 'handles' section and left them untouched.

- As expected STP opened up and i did a couple of Audio edits.

Now when I go to save I get a choice to 'include source audio' or 'reference the audio' files.

- If I chose "Include source audio" then it WON'T save,
- If i chose "reference Audio files" it saves fine - AND - the audio doesn't appear as 'offline' when i go back to FCP. (Woop!)

- I tested the open in editor feature - and works fine.

So maybe i am all set up normally and should just ignore the 'Include source audio' option at the STP save command (?).

In the Tutorials I was watching (Larry Jordan on Lynda.com), he says to always keep 'include source audio' selected when saving but maybe that is for projects that are not round tripping to FCP I guess... either way it doesn't work with me.

Thanks so much for your help. Really appreciate it.

Best

Jamie
Re: Sountrack Pro 2 Cant Save Project File error (January 04, 2009 04:24AM) ronny courtens
Re: Sountrack Pro 2 Cant Save Project File error (January 04, 2009 10:48AM) CoolerUK
Re: Sountrack Pro 2 Cant Save Project File error (January 05, 2009 04:13AM) MarkLoPresti
I'll offer up one substantial problem I found with STP2. When sending clips from your FCP timeline, make certain non of the clip names have . . . dots . . . in the description. Oh, you can name your FCP clips with as many dots as you wish but they won't make the transition. I made the mistake of naming some of my clips "Dr. Smith1" "Dr. Smith2" etc. and it was total chaos! Same problem with sending clips to Motion. The dots mess up everything as if the wrong file extension has been tacked on. Don't know if that helps, but everyone should know about it anyway.

Mark
Re: Sountrack Pro 2 Cant Save Project File error (January 05, 2009 05:05AM) ronny courtens
Hi Mark,

Good to know this. Thanks.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Sountrack Pro 2 Cant Save Project File error (January 05, 2009 03:05PM) CoolerUK
Interesting point. Doesn't affect me though. Do you reckon it's worth uninstalling and reinstalling the software?

Or doing a reinstall of OSX? and loading it fresh onto the system again?

Seems like there is a setting somewhere that is not working correctly - i dunno.

It just feels a little buggy.

Also My macbook originally shipped with Tiger, not Leopard - do you think it;s worth reverting back to Tiger? (although I love all the features in Leopard.....

Thanks

Jamie
Re: Sountrack Pro 2 Cant Save Project File error (January 06, 2009 03:52AM) ronny courtens
Hi Jamie,

I have been looking around to find something that could help you but alas, no result. My guess is a re-install would be advised. But before you do anything drastic: have also you tried this with a totally different project than the one you ar working on ? Do you have the issue with any footage or just with this one ?

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Sountrack Pro 2 Cant Save Project File error (January 07, 2009 01:47PM) CoolerUK
Hi ronny

Thanks very much for all your help. I'm gonna do a fresh install of my system, and hopefully that will sort it.

Thanks again.

Jamie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login