importing footage from DVD

importing footage from DVD (April 01, 2009 02:05PM) foxbat7
Hi Ken & all,

Thanks everybody for your suggestions last night. Tried MPEG streamclip as you suggested but running into problems. I go to File, Open DVD and I get the option of selecting Audio_TS or Video_TS. It seems I don't have the option of selecting the largest VOB file, which David suggested. I tried selecting Video_TS. Then returning to File>Export to Quicktime, I get a message saying I need to upgrade my MPEG-2 Playback, but I already have Quicktime Player 6, Quicktime 7.6 and FCP 4.1, which should cover MPEG2 Playback, I would think. I set the conventional settings in the drop-down compressor menu and click Make Movie. Then, on the desktop, I see a Quicktime icon on the exported file, but when I try to open it, it tells me "this is not a movie file."

Also, wondered how and where to set in and out points.

Appreciations!

Hadley
------------------------------
importing footage from DVD
------------------------------
If you use MPEG Streamclip, load the larger VOB file from the DVD disc into the program. You can set IN and OUT points if needed. Go to File->Export to QuickTime. When the compressor window opens, use the drop-down Compressor menu at the top to select the codec that you need for your NLE. In most cases, the Apple DV/DVCPro codec will do fine, but use whatever will match your NLE's Sequence settings to avoid rendering constantly. Set the audio to uncompressed, 48khz, 16 bit. Set the Quality to 100% and the frame rate to 29.97 (if NTSC).

If you plan to encode several clips or VOB files, you can save your settings as a preset to keep from having to go through all of them every time.

-DH
Re: importing footage from DVD (April 01, 2009 10:37PM) David Harbsmeier
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login