Saving a Picture in iPhoto 08

Saving a Picture in iPhoto 08 (May 06, 2009 05:25AM) Tom George
iPhoto 08 version 7.1.2

I imported a photo into iPhoto and corrected the red eye. How do I save this photo to the original folder? I made the changes but the original photo still has the red eye. Where did the changes get saved to?

Tom
Re: Saving a Picture in iPhoto 08 (May 06, 2009 06:56AM) Tom Stitzer
As far as I remember, in your Home folder there should be a Pictures folder, and inside of there is the iPhoto Library. Inside of there are many many folders with YEARS as the names (2005, 2006, 2007, etc). There should also be an Originals folder. When you make a change to a photo in iPhoto (crop, redeye, etc), the original is placed in this folder in case you ever want to revert the changes.

So, you import the photo, it's put into one of the YEARS folders, you make the change (redeye), the original is put into the ORIGINALS folder, the changed one is still in the YEARS folder.

What I do when I make a change that I know I won't need the original for, is to drag the changed photo out to the desktop (making a copy of the changed version) and then in iPhoto I delete the copy there and empty iPhoto's trash. I think that gets rid of the one in the original folder too, but I never really checked. After that you can then drag the copy you put on the desktop back into iPhoto if you want or use it however you had planned.

As a side note, if the iPhoto library isn't where I said, try control clicking the iPhoto app in your App folder and choose show package contents. For some reason I seem to remember the iPhoto library being in there at some point with some version of iPhoto...
Re: Saving a Picture in iPhoto 08 (May 06, 2009 06:07PM) Tom Stitzer
Ah now Im home and checked my previous advice. I was close, but inside of the Pictures folder, you'll have to right click or control click the icon that says iPhoto Library and then show package contents. You should see a folder for Originals and also for Modified. The photos are in those places, organized by years. I was close!
Re: Saving a Picture in iPhoto 08 (May 07, 2009 10:35AM) Tom George
Thanks Tom,

At least it allows me to drag and drop the changed pictures to the Desktop. That's all I need for now.

Tom
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login