upgrading OSX

upgrading OSX (May 12, 2009 10:27PM) sharon
I remember it being discussed here never to change your OS mid-project. But now I actually need to upgrade from Panther to the current OSX in order to install FCP 6 (the software my editor is using, I cut the film in FCP 3).

Firstly, can my little G4 (15" flat panel with LCD screen and bending neck) even handle OSX.6 and FCP 6?

Secondly, will there be a lot of changes? ie. will my preferences and bookmarks etc. be imported, can I keep things the same as they are now on my Panther desktop without too much confusion?

thanks!
Sharon.
Re: upgrading OSX (May 12, 2009 11:37PM) jlcinc
Sharon,

The minimum requirement for FCP 6 would be a 1.25 GHz model 4 and I also don't think the graphics card in the old iMac will work with FCP 6. You will probably need to upgrade many people are using the new iMac with FCP 6.

John
Re: upgrading OSX (May 13, 2009 03:13AM) sharon
OK, but I still need to upgrade the OSX on my older imac to be able to use other programs, does it cause a lot of havoc?
Re: upgrading OSX (May 15, 2009 10:46AM) marcusgrandon
I'm running fcp 6 on a 2002 Quicksilver dual 1 ghz machine. It works, but pretty slowly and not without a few problems. It's not my main machine, but serves as a nice backup, and a great machine to ingest footage while I work on my other one.

Honestly, I wouldn't want to work on it for an entire project edit.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login