Ability to have two separate audio channels

Ability to have two separate audio channels (July 15, 2009 02:41PM) jbknott
I would like to send video out of Final Cut via compressor where music clip is in one channel and voice over is in 2nd channel. I am trying to burn DVD in DVD studio Pro so that the sound person at church would have the ability to adjust the music at different level than voice over. Is this possible? If so, is there a setting that I have to set when exporting out of Final Cut via compressor and/or is there a setting in DVD Studio Pro that I have to set for this to occur?

Thanks in advance for your comments....

Jim Bob
Re: Ability to have two separate audio channels (July 15, 2009 03:03PM) Tom Stitzer
If I understand you correctly I suppose you could pan the music hard left and the voice hard right. Export as normal. Once on the DVD, you'll need to make sure you attach the audio outs of the DVD player to something that allows you to:

1. control the level of 2 channels of audio like a mixer. Connect the white cable end to one channel and the red cable end to the 2nd channel. Adjust volume as needed. You may need some special adapters to match the inputs of the mixer... or

2. connect to a machine that lets you control the balance between the left and right channels, like in a car radio. You can make the sound come from either the left or right speaker, emphasizing whatever channel you want, music or voice.
Re: Ability to have two separate audio channels (July 15, 2009 10:51PM) jbknott
Tom,

Thanks for the response. The way you describe is exactly how the sound person said they would control. However, I have not figured out how to export the audio our as two channels. I have the music on one and the voice over on the 2nd one. When I export, the audio gets merged into one channel. When I import into DVD Studio, the audio is not separated. Can you explain how I can send the audio out as two channels and keep the two channels in DVD Studio?

Thanks,

Jim Bob
Re: Ability to have two separate audio channels (July 16, 2009 01:38AM) David Harbsmeier
You need to do the panning in FCP or SoundTrack Pro - NOT in DVD-SP. In FCP, first make sure that ALL clips on the Timeline are mono - not stereo. Next, set the pan for ALL clips that you want routed to the left output to -1. Set the pan for ALL clips that you want routed to the right output to 1. Export the audio using Compressor as an AC3 file (Dolby Digital). Import the AC3 file into DVD-SP as an asset.

-DH
Re: Ability to have two separate audio channels (July 16, 2009 05:15PM) Tom Stitzer
Yup, what he said... beat me to it, DH!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login